Anyone bothering?

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
What Larry said. What exactly are we supposed to be looking at and splitting the cost with you??

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
The other what? :confused1:
What Larry said. What exactly are we supposed to be looking at and splitting the cost with you??
Boys, I don't think you'll be interested in buying an overpriced UK sticker from an idiot like me.
Our politicians/civil servants/bureaucrats, have decided that it's about time we weren't known as the GB anymore and all number plates when travelling beyond our shores must now display UK branding.
F'in muppets.
However, if you would like to purchase a 75 pence sticker for £5.00 plus £20.00 postage, I'd be more than happy to oblige. No? Thought not?
Upt'North.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
An oval white country sticker such as the one @Upt' North and I have on the back of our motos is required for travel in countries outside of the country of registration of the vehicle. There are two exceptions: 1) EC vehicles within the EC that have an EC spec licence plate, and 2) cross-border travel between Canada and the USA. The Vienna Convention on Road Traffic specifies this.

Michael

Canada Honda 1.JPG

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Our politicians/civil servants/bureaucrats, have decided that it's about time we weren't known as the GB anymore and all number plates when travelling beyond our shores must now display UK branding.
What are we talking about?
The oval GB thingy or the blue, vertical one covering the EC insignia?

For those of us on the other side of the pond (British Isles, Great Britain, United Kingdom, England, British Empire):
Informative ;)
But that Ranjid voice-over makes it hilarious! :rofl1:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
An oval white country sticker such as the one @Upt' North and I have on the back of our motos is required for travel in countries outside of the country of registration of the vehicle. There are two exceptions: 1) EC vehicles within the EC that have an EC spec licence plate, and 2) cross-border travel between Canada and the USA. The Vienna Convention on Road Traffic specifies this.
Hmm, yes and no... since around 2000 the oval sticker has been dropped, cause the nationality is already shown in the (EC type/standard) license plate...
If you've a license plate/vehicle registration issued before 2000, the oval sticker would indeed be required...

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
What are we talking about?
The oval GB thingy or the blue, vertical one covering the EC insignia?

Informative ;)
But that Ranjid voice-over makes it hilarious! :rofl1:
The GB markings are now obsolete, I am no longer Great British, I am now United Kingdomish. We all are apparently. Even @Bikeric and he lives in Cornwall/France.
The UK marker must now be shown to leave Britain, or is that Kingdom.
It's all complete nonsense of course and I was very tempted to say pfffttttttt to the stupid new regs but I have already found out I'm allergic to gendarmes pointing guns at me and would prefer not to repeat the experience unnecessarily.
C'est La Vie mon enfants.
Upt'North.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
The GB markings are now obsolete, I am no longer Great British, I am now United Kingdomish.
Good to know, need to address you as "your highness" from now on? ;)
It's all complete nonsense of course and I was very tempted to say pfffttttttt to the stupid new regs but I have already found out I'm allergic to gendarmes pointing guns at me and would prefer not to repeat the experience unnecessarily.
Yeah, those 9mm won't fester out easily... ;)
(I always astonish local/Austrian LEO's by first keeping my hands visible on wheel/handlebar, and then announce every move: "I'll now reach into my left inside pocked with my right hand..." :biggrin: )

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Just in case I should be mistaken for being English...... We down 'ere are now a protected species! I just bought a UK sticker for the bike and car ready for the next trip to France as booked on the Poole to Cherbourg Ferry for 17th May for the next six weeks.....

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
Just in case I should be mistan for being English...... We down 'ere are now a protected species! I just bought a UK sticker for the bike and car ready for the next trip to France as booked on the Poole to Cherbourg Ferry for 17th May for the next six weeks.....
You should be!
:biggrin:

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
You were always part of the UK, and Great Britain, so what difference does it make which one is used on the plate? From your comments it appears that you prefer to be associated with GB rather than the UK, but its not clear why.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I like the round "250" sticker CYYJ...
I put that on to tease a co-worker of mine in Zurich - he had a mofa (a moped) and was obliged by law to have a sticker on the back of it that read '25' - so I bought a 25 sticker and a 40 sticker and cobbled together the 250 sticker. :)

The reality is that with the larger than stock windshield that I have, the moto won't go any faster than 220.

Michael

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
You were always part of the UK, and Great Britain, so what difference does it make which one is used on the plate? From your comments it appears that you prefer to be associated with GB rather than the UK, but its not clear why.
Doug, I think I would liken it to the USA sticker. Would you be fond of having a North America, NA sticker instead?
To be honest from choice I would want an English sticker because I feel English but historically vehicles have shown the GB plate forever, so why change?
Plus it cost me £1.49!
:well1:.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
The GB markings are now obsolete, I am no longer Great British, I am now United Kingdomish. We all are apparently. Even @Bikeric and he lives in Cornwall/France.
The UK marker must now be shown to leave Britain, or is that Kingdom.
C'est La Vie mon enfants.
Upt'North.
How long before you have to start wearing a symbol on your clothing too? The more things change they more they stay the same.

Top Bottom