Anyone get a chance to ride the new Trophy SE yet?

Bike
2015 Honda VFR ABS
STOC #
Looks very nice with all the latest tech - sat radio, Bluetooth, electronic suspension and TPMS. Not cheap, but in line with BMW pricing. Unfortunately there's none available to test ride in my area, and curious if anyone's gotten a chance to do so and their thoughts?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I thought you might want to look through the Triumph forum for Trophy threads.

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
I love the motor in that bike, but the leg position was too cramped for me. More like a sportbike. I also was not thrilled with the windscreen. I liked the 1200 Explorer much more.

I've ridden one since we are also sell Triumphs and I get to ride pretty much everything that comes through the doors. The bike has plenty of power and is smooth as silk to ride but it is very big. Even after riding my ST1100 for 2 years now I was surprised at how wide the Trophy feels. Also you better have relatively long legs. I had to have a co-worker help me get it off the center stand because the concrete floors are pretty slick and I was on my tips of my toes sitting on it with the center stand up.

OP
OP
Rambler358
Bike
2015 Honda VFR ABS
STOC #
Thanks guys. I'm 6'1", so I don't think I'd have a problem with the center stand. A previous BMW R1100RT and my current ST1300 are the biggest bikes I've had so far. I was even thinking of a Gold Wing, but not sure I want to go that route yet. So this new Trophy SE seems like my next bike, but I'd really like to test ride one first.

Bike
Tiger Explorer
STOC #
If you want to come to New Orleans the dealership there will let you test ride one. a friend of mine has one. He has about 16k on it now. I have rode it and as stgolfer said "the leg position was too cramped for it." I bought the 1200 Explorer. I am very pleased with it.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I have one and love it. The ergos are more like my gold wing than ST which surprises most people who throw a leg over one on a test ride. That's because the North American models come with a low seat which really cuts down the leg room, but does make it easier to flat foot the bike. I ordered the regular seat and have it on the high setting and really like the riding position. I am on my toes at stop lights, but its worth it for the comfort. You sit almost bolt upright and there is little pressure on your wrists so its all day comfortable. I've done 14 hours on it at one time and my butt was sore, but my legs, shoulders and wrists were ready for more.

Last edited:
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Thanks bmcdonau. Can I ask how tall you are?
I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam so it shouldn't be any issue for you. The bike is fantastic and I've had zero problems with mine.

HOWEVER, and I can't over emphasize that HOWEVER. A lot of people with the early bikes (mine was built in late '12) have had myriad problems with the batteries going flat overnight, audio coming and going, display issues and a lot of other glitches attributable to the ECU programming. I had heated grips installed--they have to reflash for that, and it did cause issues that were fixed before I took the bike home. My experience was so different from other Trophy owners that I didn't want the software upgrade, but couldn't get around it if I wanted the grips to work.

Early production bikes have a noisy top end (up through a certain engine number) and Triumph issued a TSB for a "voluntary" top end rebuild. They replace the head with a modified version that the newer production bikes have fitted. It's voluntary because you don't have to have it done if you are happy with yours as is. I have no issues with mine, but am thinking of having it done because it also extends the factory warranty by one year. There is also a recall to fit a "foot" to the center stand.

If you buy a '13 model made past about July or a '14 you shouldn't have any of these issues to deal with.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
There is a new recall to replace the ECM on 2013's so it looks like they may have identified the cause of the intermittent software problems they have been having with the Trophy.

Top Bottom