Anyone had microfracture for osteochondral defect

georgiast

Failure is NOT an option...
So I am scheduled for surgery next week on the knee. Microfracture for osteochondral defect.

Done a lot of reading on the procedure. Seems to be the best option for returning to normal activities. For those familiar with the procedure, I also stumbled across a clinic that harvests your own stem cells and grows them in a lab, re-injects them at the injury site to re-generate cartilage-like material. Looks promising, but is not covered by insurance...Not really an option...

The procedure is not terribly complex, but the recovery period seems a little intimidating. NO weight bearing for 4-6 weeks. 2 months limited activity.

I am NOT a good patient...I am trying to get my brain around not walking or standing normally for such a long period of time. I am not a jock, but stay fairly active, however this period of inactivity is CRUCIAL to the success of the procedure.

On the plus side, I am currently unemployed and do not have to worry about going back to work too soon after the surgery, therefore ensuring that I have plenty of time to recuperate.

Anyone here had this done? Any advice? Any warnings?

Thanks in advance for your input.

The stem cell option sounds great, but have you read into Platelet Rich Plasma? I deal with this a lot in my line of work and have had it injected into my shoulder, my eldest son's shoulder, and my younger son's knee.

Do a search on Platelet Rich Plasma or Platelet Gel and you should get a lot of things. Benefits include; it comes from YOUR own blood, platelets have over 30 growth factors, each specific for what it needs (healing, fighting off infection, tissue re-growth, etc).

Some surgeons initially were concerned that it (PRP) would make certain things grow that they don't want to, but that hasn't been the case. My youngest son had an alvusion fracture in his hip (he grew so fast) where his thigh muscles ripped a part of his bone off from his hip when he turned to run towards 1st base after making a 'base hit'. Two screws were used to put the bone back in place, the surgeon injected it with PRP, and as the studies have shown, his bone healing was significantly sped up, so much so that he was back playing baseball before the season (high school) was over.

We use PRP in all Total Knees, Total Hips, ACL repairs, Rotator Cuff Repairs, the docs have been extremely impressed.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Search the web and find some *sitting* exercise routines. You only think you're in shape... these routines can *really* get you breathing heavyily.

Or
Buy a set of the rubber band exercise kits and do everything you can without using that knee...

Good luck!
Mark

OP
OP
georgiast

georgiast

The stem cell option sounds great, but have you read into Platelet Rich Plasma? I deal with this a lot in my line of work and have had it injected into my shoulder, my eldest son's shoulder, and my younger son's knee.

Do a search on Platelet Rich Plasma or Platelet Gel and you should get a lot of things. Benefits include; it comes from YOUR own blood, platelets have over 30 growth factors, each specific for what it needs (healing, fighting off infection, tissue re-growth, etc).

Some surgeons initially were concerned that it (PRP) would make certain things grow that they don't want to, but that hasn't been the case. My youngest son had an alvusion fracture in his hip (he grew so fast) where his thigh muscles ripped a part of his bone off from his hip when he turned to run towards 1st base after making a 'base hit'. Two screws were used to put the bone back in place, the surgeon injected it with PRP, and as the studies have shown, his bone healing was significantly sped up, so much so that he was back playing baseball before the season (high school) was over.

We use PRP in all Total Knees, Total Hips, ACL repairs, Rotator Cuff Repairs, the docs have been extremely impressed.

Thanks for the input.

Gene in GA

OP
OP
georgiast

georgiast

Search the web and find some *sitting* exercise routines. You only think you're in shape... these routines can *really* get you breathing heavyily.

Or
Buy a set of the rubber band exercise kits and do everything you can without using that knee...

Good luck!
Mark
Thanks. Will do.

Gene in GA

BTW, make sure you are NOT taking any asprin or Ibuprofen a week before your surgery.

Top Bottom