Anyone have "skier's thumb" surgery?

veefore

See you at my intervention!
Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
So I had a parting of the ways with my TTR250 while trail riding about 5 weeks ago...... I got high sided and caught my left thumb on the Bark Buster and clutch lever as I went over the handlebars.
I initially thought it was just a sprain; it did swell and discolor. But after 5 weeks with the swelling diminished I was getting shooting pains when I would lift things.
Long story short......the orthopedic surgeon says I have a complete tear of my Ulnar Collateral ligament in my left thumb which will require repair. I work with my hands and everything I have read regarding the duration of recovery (limited use, braces, casts) is not encouraging. Have any of you guys dealt with this?? What was your experience?

I know, I know........I shouldn't have been riding the "Yamamonster"....:( Am I destined to never use my left turn signal or adjust my windshield???

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I did the same thing about 2 years ago on my KTM in the dirt. They also call it gamers thumb.

Mine healed up okay. I was in a cast for 5 weeks IIRC. I cut it off myself before going to the doctor because he couldn't see me for another week after the cast was supposed to come off. He wasn't happy.
The surgery worked fine and I was back riding as as soon as the cast was off. I was actually MTBing with it.

I wore the brace after the surgery but it wasn't for very long. It's relatively normal now except for I lost a little dexterity. Only noticeable if you I try to pick up a coin off a hardwood floor.

OP
OP
veefore

veefore

Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I did the same thing about 2 years ago on my KTM in the dirt. They also call it gamers thumb.

Mine healed up okay. I was in a cast for 5 weeks IIRC. I cut it off myself before going to the doctor because he couldn't see me for another week after the cast was supposed to come off. He wasn't happy.
The surgery worked fine and I was back riding as as soon as the cast was off. I was actually MTBing with it.

I wore the brace after the surgery but it wasn't for very long. It's relatively normal now except for I lost a little dexterity. Only noticeable if you I try to pick up a coin off a hardwood floor.
Thanks for the response.......hopefully the downtime (with the cast) can coincide with the worst part of winter; I'm a carpenter. Now to explain this to a boss who doesn't like motorcycles.........

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I'm a carpenter too, but I'm also my boss. Luckily he likes motorcycles.:D

Are you right handed? Luckily I wrecked my left hand and I'm right handed.

OP
OP
veefore

veefore

Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Thankfully I'm right handed......... We just started framing a pretty complex house with lots of LVL's, Gluelams, etc. I may just have to suck it up but I'm concerned with the problems I'd create (with surgery & recovery) if I wait a while.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
There's no way I could have functioned w/o surgery. Mine basically felt like it was dislocated.

OP
OP
veefore

veefore

Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
mmmm......I know the feeling; it's pretty unstable right now. I've been keeping it (braced) under a glove. How long did you wait?

OP
OP
veefore

veefore

Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Thanks ........looks like I'm in for :soapbox :work2: :work5: but such is life......gotta recoup for riding season!!!!

Top Bottom