Gloves Anyone use Held Steve Classic gloves?

Bike
2012 ST1300P ABS
STOC #
I'm thinking about getting a good pair of gloves for moderate temperature riding. I came across a pair of Held Steve Classic gloves for a reasonable price so I've done a little research on them.

They're not lined and I've never owned an unlined pair of leather gloves so I'm wondering if anyone can offer any insight on these gloves specifically or using unlined gloves in general.

I already own a good pair of mesh gloves for hot weather riding and I have 2 pair of good winter gloves. I'm thinking the Held gloves might work for in between those two seasons.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I've only heard good thing about the Steves. I've never had a pair myself, I prefer the Rodney (a bit shorter and no "hard" armor.) They're unlined, and really comfortable. You'll be hard pressed to find better gloves than Helds.

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
No experience with the Steve model but I have an older pair of Galaxy with CF armor and kangaroo skin. Excellent glove. As are most Held gloves, high quality stuff.

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I prefer the Rodney (a bit shorter and no "hard" armor.) They're unlined, and really comfortable. You'll be hard pressed to find better gloves than Helds.
Actually, you'll be hard-pressed to find Held Rodney gloves - anywhere.
They are out of stock at Revzilla, and everywhere else I checked.
What is it with this company :mad:.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I am on my 5th or 6th pair. I suppose that says something. I find them very comfortable and well made. As well they seem to fit my hands better than a lot of others that I have tried. Provide seemingly good protection and control feel. However, they are a bit pricey and getting harder and harder to get. Fortunately, I have not had to test them in a get off though.

I am blessed with very good circulation in my hands so find them comfortable down to relatively cool riding temps. Because they are not ventilated, they can be a bit warm from 80+ degrees. My hands really sweat so a pair lasts me about 30,000 miles before they need to be retired. This is about the same mileage as I get out of other gloves.

Held are my go to brand of gloves because of fit and quality.

OP
OP
ST11Nut
Bike
2012 ST1300P ABS
STOC #
I am on my 5th or 6th pair. I suppose that says something. I find them very comfortable and well made. As well they seem to fit my hands better than a lot of others that I have tried. Provide seemingly good protection and control feel. However, they are a bit pricey and getting harder and harder to get. Fortunately, I have not had to test them in a get off though.

I am blessed with very good circulation in my hands so find them comfortable down to relatively cool riding temps. Because they are not ventilated, they can be a bit warm from 80+ degrees. My hands really sweat so a pair lasts me about 30,000 miles before they need to be retired. This is about the same mileage as I get out of other gloves.

Held are my go to brand of gloves because of fit and quality.
Great info, thanks very much

Bike
2010 ST1300
I think there was a recent thread about Held gloves. I wanted a pair of Steves, and tried on all of their various sizes at a BMW national rally. Unfortunately, my hands did not fit their model - when the palm fit, the fingers were much too long. This is the same problem I had with Aerostitch gloves, and to a lesser extent, Lee Parks gloves. I suggest you try on the gloves before you order - tho Lee Parks pays return postage if they don't fit and you are exchanging them for another size (Aerostitch, too).

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Actually, you'll be hard-pressed to find Held Rodney gloves - anywhere.
They are out of stock at Revzilla, and everywhere else I checked.
What is it with this company :mad:.
I gut my new Phantom 2's by calling SchubertUSA and the found a pair like I wanted and sold them to me. There is a company in England that stocks Held.

Bike
VStrom 650
I ride with a pair of Belstaff leather unlined in the summer. They are better in the rain and with sweaty hands because you can get your hands back in when they're wet with no problem. But when it does rain my hands go a nice shade of dark grey for a day or two.
I find they're ok temp wise down to about 60 ish.
Upt'North.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
I am on my second pair. With a large box of high quality gloves in the shop, the Steves are my all-time favorites.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
On my 2nd pair of Steve's too! Some sites have them in short, standard and long finger lengths (10 short for me).

Kangaroo leather palms have outstanding feel out of the package; no "break-in" needed. And the visor wiper on the left index finger is quite handy!

1st pair lasted 7 or 8 seasons as my primary gloves.

If they fit your hands you can't go wrong with them.

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
On my second and third pair. The first lasted i can’t remember how many years, maybe 10, roughly 80,000 miles. They were size ten. Black and Tan with slide rivets. Very comfortable. Thought about giving them a proper burial when they wore out. Given a choice though, I did 10 long when it came time to replace. This pair was slightly smaller with surprisingly long fingers, especially the thumb, black and grey, still with rivets. So a season or two later I bought size 11 regular. Rivets replaced with Kevlar. Excellent fit. Been great for several seasons. I rotate both pairs on multi day rides to dry them out if I don’t use rain covers.
These were fine for one and two half season gloves until I got heated grips, now they are three full Ohio season gloves for this freeze baby. I like the strap that would retain the glove on my hand during certain events.

OP
OP
ST11Nut
Bike
2012 ST1300P ABS
STOC #
Based on all the positive comments, I pulled the trigger on getting the pair of gloves I was considering. I'll add a quick review once I receive them and try them out a few times.

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
There is a company in England that stocks Held.
$96 for the Rodney gloves, $48 shipping to US. No, I don't want them that badly, lol.
I will call Shuberth and see what they can do for me.
Thanks for the info, Coop....

Top Bottom