Anyone Use the No Mar Changer w/Receiver Hitch on an SUV?

Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
Does anyone use the No Mar tire changer with the receiver hitch option on an SUV? I have been sitting on the fence about purchasing a No Mar changer primarily because of how to mount it. I am ambivolent about securing anchors in the garage floor or improvising some sort of stand out of plywood. However, after seeing Mellow's No Mar in action on a recent tire change he did for me with the receiver hitch option on his pickup I decided that was way too slick. If I had a pickup I would take the plunge on a No Mar in a heart beat, but I dont have a pickup. But I do have a 2007 Honda CRV compact SUV. However, Im not familiar enough with the No Mar or the tire changing process to know if it would be at all feasible to use the No Mar with an SUV. My primary concerns are the manipulation of the irons or the mount/demount bar and whether or not the proximity of them would be too close to the closed rear hatch on my SUV to avoid damage. Or, is it possible to have the hatch open (swings up to open overhead on my CRV) and mount tires without the hatch or other areas of my CRV being in harms way?

I really do like the flexibility of the receiver hitch option in that there is no storage of a fabricated stand taking up even more space in my already crowded garage plus the portability factor. But is it feasible and safe to use the receiver hitch option on an SUV?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

TPadden

Tom Padden
What class hitch do you have Tom?

On his CRV I'm thinking a Class I is all that will fit. But, with an adapter, it will allow the 2" no mar hitch mount to fit the 1 1/4" Class I hitch and also pull it away from the back more.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/product.jcw?nval=1101010339&statenval=1101010339&productId=2004380&shopid=100001&pageid=12&TID=8014524F&utm_source=Google_Product_Search&utm_medium=CSE&utm_content=product-14380G&zmam=73771597&zmas=18&zmac=129&zmap=14380G
The Nitro has a Class 3, 2" - the CRV will take a similar no drill hitch only $115: http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/138-honda-crv-trailer-hitch.html

TPadden

Tom Padden
I have to correct my post - I have and use the Cycle Hill Changer made by No-Mar. In use with the trailer hitch from SUV not a problem but that doesn't guarantee the No-Mar :confused:.

Here is my No Mar on my 01 Pathfinder:

No problems at all. In fact, that is one of the reasons why I purchased a No Mar over the Cycle Hill. My house is built with a "post tension slab", there are steel cables in the concrete that are under tension so I can't drill into the floor to mount anything.

Also, Cycle Hill wants $75 just for the trailer hitch option. With No Mar you can substitute the hitch mount for the floor mount at no extra charge.

I measured from the hole for the pin to secure the No Mar to your receiver hitch to the vertical upright to be about 11"

TPadden

Tom Padden
No problems at all. In fact, that is one of the reasons why I purchased a No Mar over the Cycle Hill.
Different choices - No Mar and Cycle Hill are the same company - just different models with a slightly different design :). The Cycle Hill is the cheaper model. With the No Mar you have to pay $120 more for the Rim Clamp Set that comes with the Cycle Hill instead of the dog blocks (http://www.nomartirechanger.com/products/12). :cool:

OP
OP
Ken H
Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
.... My house is built with a "post tension slab", there are steel cables in the concrete that are under tension so I can't drill into the floor to mount anything.....

John-
That has been my hesitation about securing a tire change to the slab since mine is post tension also. I dont know how likely or unlikely it might be to encounter one of the cables by drilling anchor holes but I dont really want to take the risk.

Byron

STOC #
If your receiver hitch is 2" then the No-Mar will work on the SUV. The adapter shown will let it work if you have the smaller model hitch.

I have the Jr. Pro model and it clears the tailgate of the Avalanche. Too bad about the Tire Stripper as it packs up to a smaller package and I like the mount/dis-mount bar better than the No-Mar. I did notice that the Tire Stripper dismount bar will rub the tailgate of the Avalanche so you have to be careful. Either the handle is longer or the mounting bar is shorter.

They are both good machines and each have their plusses and minuses. Another option is to do what they do for the shows, mount the base to a piece of aluminum diamond plate. The size of the plate and you standing on it provides all the support. When not in use disassemble and store or just leave it in place if space is not a problem.

I forgot to mention that while on the No-Mar site just now I noticed they are running a $100 off and free shipping offer for the end of the year.

At the top of the page at TireStripper.com

"We have sold out our current stock of Tire Changers & Wheel Balancer and we don't have plans to make any more at this time."

Attachments

OP
OP
Ken H
Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
Another option is to do what they do for the shows, mount the base to a piece of aluminum diamond plate. The size of the plate and you standing on it provides all the support. When not in use disassemble and store or just leave it in place if space is not a problem.

I forgot to mention that while on the No-Mar site just now I noticed they are running a $100 off and free shipping offer for the end of the year.
Byron-
Thanks for the heads up about the discount and the tip about the diamond plate. It's shaping up like a friend of mine and I are going go in on one together. We are going to check out No Mar at the bike show in Dallas in a couple of weeks and determine exactly which model and any accessories we want.

Bike
GL1800
I just use plywood on my HF which makes it very easy to drag around. Also park my MC on it too so space is not a problem.

Top Bottom