April 2010 Bike picks VFR1200 over BMWK1300S

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
April issue of Bike big test is the VFR1200 vs BMW K1300S vs Triumph Sprint ST. Despite the lukewarm review last month this test picked the Honda over the other two. In England sport tourers are defined as lighter and more sport than over here. For example the ST1300 and BMW RT1200 are tourers over there. Of these Sport Tourers the big Honda did very well.

Bike
2005 ST1300
give em a week and the BMW will win...another and the Truimph will Triumph...

For every magazine that had one bike a winner...the next 'shoot out' has the same bikes and a different winner...its all a matter of tastes....

I know having sit on both recently the K was way more comfy...I think its a better looking bike..but again my tastes and no one else's

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I know the bike rag thing but if you read Bike you know they are generally not like that wishy-washy not wanting to offend ad dollars. Once a particular model gets a rep it pretty much hangs that way.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Looks like the muffler is pointing right out to the side bag?
Probably borrowed that idea from BMW. My buddy's gen-1 K12GT's right pannier is practically useless because of the pipe. Holds gloves and a sweatshirt...that's about it.

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
VFR sure is pretty though..
I have not seen it with the cases on...Looks like the muffler is pointing right out to the side bag?? Is it just the photo angle?
Have looked at this a bit, as Bones said, the right bag has a kind of notch at the bottom to 'accommodate' the muffler. The muffler also has a kind of baffle at the end which points the exhaust down, it's on the upper port, barely visible in the picture.

One good thing about that exhaust, there should be plentiful after market options to choose from.

The earlier vfr model has 2 mufflers under the seat, but the bummer with them is Honda had to put like a kink in the middle of the muffler to fit them up in the opening. No after market mfgs went to that trouble, so the straight mufflers don't quite fit in as nicely.

Really like the way that bike looks though and it should be quite easy to change color if you don't like the red ;)

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
If that picture was taken in Daytona I sat on the same one. I sure felt like I was leaning over a lot more than it looks like you are. I was surprised at how small it was. It will definitely not replace the ST with its ergos. I tried to compare the ergos with the one next to it without the bags. It appeared to be the same except for the windshield, top box and the bags. It was way too cramped for me. JMHO. Picture taken with cell phone sorry about quality.

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
Yes the pictures were taken this year at bike week.
VFR is alot more SPORT than tour. Had the bags open=small
Gas, Or lack of it.
I could not ride this bike more than 150 miles at 1 x.
Had to stretch to reach bars.
Yes the exhaust is aimed at the bag.

Said this before the ST1300 is the BESTEST bike I evar bought.

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
The Minnie Pearl thing you have going on with that bike is so full of win.

But I bet it doesn't say $1.98 on it. :D

--Mark
Riding to bike week Took I believe route 522 to Front Royal. 4 lane=2 each way down to a half lane snow blowing across road way. Does your state own snow plows? Do they know how to use them?
Minne Pearl tag did not have a price on it. Just stated the bike and what was. 2010

Top Bottom