Are Battery Sharks' no brand batteries any good?

Bike
2010 ST1300
A Yuasa battery for my V Strom sells for around $100 (tho someone is selling it for around $60 online). Battery Sharks sells a replacement for $22. Are these things any good? I read posts in which ddemair said his Batt Shark died in 13 months, and one from chasjo - he said his was doing fine two or three months after purchase.

Do we have any more experience with this firm and their Vietnamese made batteries (so said one of their reviews)?

This question is more or less rhetorical - I'm planning on a 10 day trip with friends this summer and were the battery to die then, given the circumstances, it would be inconvenient (typical understatement laced w sarcasm). I'm also a firm believer in, "if it's too good to be true, it probably is". I'll probably go for a Yuasa brand from one of the cheaper sellers.

Postscript: What a circus mcgurkis. A Yuasa Ytx12-BS battery search yields Amazon selling it for $60+, but their check vehicle says it won't fit my V-Strom, and the fine print uses another number YUAM3RH2S even tho the picture is of the YTX12-BS. Another website says this YUAM battery will indeed fit, though Yuasa's website does not recognize the number. To add to the confusion one of the pictures online shows a YTX12-BS battery with the YUAM number in the lower left and the YTX number top dead center. Go figure.

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
Like an oil thread!
I am through with Yuasa..supposedly sold "under " several different names, but all of them have disappointed me.
I replaced the battery in my '06 in 2011, and it lasted 'til 2018. I bought a Scorpion battery, made in Vietnam. I noticed while looking for a new one ( the 2011 unit started to get a bit slow at times), that the Scorpions are now made in China. I had ordered a Chrome battery ( chromebattery.com) for my Honda Helix, and it has lasted 3.5 years so far...for 22$, shipped. I got the same brand for the ST, and it has worked like a charm so far. I have had it about a year. I paid 35$, shipped. I see they are now 38.50.
I DID look at Batterysharks too, but the ratings online, and service, seemed a bit dodgy. Their warranty is pretty bad too. Chrome Batttery has s slightly better warranty, and I am pretty impressed.....so far.
Disclaimer: I do keep the battery on a Battery Minder , on a timer ( runs twice a day for an hour) all the time, when not riding. Batteries like to be fully charged.

STOC #
I put a Shorai in the Tuono and never looked back. I bought their pricey charger as well, just to be sure. As weight is pretty much a non issue on STella (hopefully she doesn't read this lol), I will wait until her battery shows signs of age.

Bike
ST 1300 2005 41K
I took a chance on a cheap-O Battery Shark & it didn't last one month. Bought a Battery plus & so far it's doing fine.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I bought a Shoria battery years ago that I used until I let it die once too often. I even have the charger.

So with my battery on my 2010 acting up this morning and checking the batteries on eBay, I just bought another Shoria (LFX19A4-BS12 ) from Amazon for $159. And with my points, I knocked it down to just over $60. I should get it next week sometime, since I went with the Non-Prime, Free Shipping. I just hope the battery will last, if not, I'll just have to use the 2012 for commuting for the next week! :cool:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The best place I've found to purchase the correct factory YUASA battery for just about ANY motorcycle, at the best price, with free shipping, and normally 2 day delivery, is a little mom and pop place in Victorville California, called AVID CYCLES. look them up, call them, and place your order. I've done this a couple times, and found a new factory replacement unit on my porch the next day, or two days later! Its a dirt bike shop, so you have to call and tell them what you want, and they will get it for you. I am not connected with this shop in any way, but have referred several folks to it that needed batteries or tires, and they always reported back the same outstanding service.
Give them a try. IIRC the YUASA battery for the ST1300 was around $219 plus tax at the dealer, and they had one on my porch 24 hours later for about $125 dollars!
They also match prices on just about anything from tires to electrical stuff.
As far as the Sharks batteries go, I've replaced several for folks after 6 months to a year. YMMV.

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
I put a Shorai in the Tuono and never looked back. I bought their pricey charger as well, just to be sure. As weight is pretty much a non issue on STella (hopefully she doesn't read this lol), I will wait until her battery shows signs of age.
I sure hope STella doesn't get wind of your weight comment.
She may just leave you on the side of the road. :rofl1:

Bike
'08 ST1300
--a vid about car batteries; but I think some things to ponder; re the manufacture and prep; maybe why even good brand name batteries are sometimes a crap shoot; maybe it's all about the prep and how long it sits in some warehouse before you buy it?

Top Bottom