Are Metzler tires always unpluggable?

Hello all,

I've got Metzlers on now (Marathon 880 on the back and Z6 on the front). I really like the way these HANDLE much more than the oem Bridgestones, but...I was unable to successfully patch a flat on the Marathon rear. I tried both the mushroom (Stop N Go kit) and the gummy worm - and neither held air. With the oem Bridgestones I had successfully plugged a front tire flat and got another 8,000 miles out of it - no problems/leaking at all.

From what I've read, the steel belts in the Metzlers will chew plugs up. Man, I really am dissappointed if this is always true. I really really like the way these Metzlers fall into turns. Much better than the oem Bridgestones.

I don't like the idea of not being sure I can patch a roadside flat. Luckily, both my flats so far have become evident while my bike sat conveniently in my garage :). I'm sure that won't always be the case. Has anyone successfully plugged a flat Metzler? If not, and if I can't expect to successfully do this on the road with these tires, what is the next best handling (similar profile?), non steel-belted tire that gives reasonable wear/mileage (maybe 8-10,000 miles)?

Any opinions appreciated, Brian

Bike
Aprilia Atlantic 200
STOC #
Hmm. laST year I gummy wormed an ME880 and rode it another 10,000 miles including a trip to OR and back. Nothing special, used a Monkey Grip brand worm. It STarted leaking a bit towards the end of life but it was done anyhow.

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
I have plugged a Metzler ME880 successfully on my Venture. Got a couple thousand miles on it. I had trouble getting the hole cleaned up, ended up chucking the tool in a drill and reaming the hole...but the plug held just fine.

OP
OP
Well, these are both encouraging posts. Don't know why I was unsuccessful. I'll try picking up some Monkey Grip brand worms (just in case there's something magic about 'em).

Thanks, Brian

STOC #
You may want to try the Progressive suspension tire plugs
They don't rely only on a seal against the inner tire wall like the stop-n-go
mushrooms. They don't seem to get torn up when inserting either.
I never had luck with the cord or mushroom type, but have not had a failure
with the progressive type. (I still carry some "truck" size cord plugs in case of a large hole in the middle of nowhere along with the progressive kit)

See different kits here:
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/escape/tourtechntips/123_0444_motorcycle_repair_kit/

Spencer

OP
OP
Spencer,

Do you know...would the Progressive Suspension PLUGS work with the traditional gummy worm inserter tool? I hate to have to buy a complete Progressive Suspension kit because I carry an air compressor on the bike and don't need the whole CO2 Cartridge deal. I don't see anywhere where you can buy just the Progressive Suspension plugs, inserter tool, and cement.

Thanks, Brian

STOC #
Brian,

No they don't, the PS tool is tapered so you only make the hole big enough
to clean it out, then it fits inside the plug to stretch it while it seats it in the
hole, when the tool is pulled out the plug relaxes and expands in the hole.
It is specific to these plugs.

Spencer

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I had success using a Stop-n-go plug on my 880 rear. It was a clean nail puncture and I used the rasp to clean up and enlarge the wound to insert the plug.

OP
OP
Norman,

I had tried to plug it twice with the Stop N Go without success. Maybe I didn't ream the hole out large enough. I do know that I almost herniated myself trying to get that rasp through the hole.
Did you continue to ride on the plugged 880? If so, how many more miles were you able to put on it without leakage?

Thanks, Brian

Top Bottom