At 90,000 miles the valves are all in spec but I found this ..... perhaps the the cam timing is off by a tooth.................

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Thats good to hear. I do know that my VTR1000F chains have stretched noticeably after 80,000km, effectively each head is a single cylinder so gets quite a lot of pulsing/uneven cam loads, compared to the ST which is effectively a parallel twin with even firing every 360 degrees.

This was the front head cam timing (exhaust to left) with the crank aligned; runs great:
1613183220761.png
Yeah, one or the other of those cams are off one tooth

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Yeah, one or the other of those cams are off one tooth
No, the cams were perfectly in phase with each other so with a small amount of crank rotation the marks aligned correctly with the cylinder head, but then the crank timing mark was off.
1613507319750.png
Given the small number of teeth on the crank (to give the 2:1 drive ratio) moving one tooth on the crank was pretty major. IIRC there are 22 teeth on the crank so each tooth was 16 degrees of rotation, which is way more than the crank was showing. I (and many other VTR owners) have concluded that chain stretch is the cause.

There's a pretty decent article on the general issue of camchain stretch here:

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
There's a pretty decent article on the general issue of camchain stretch here:

interesting, I thought that multi-plate (Hy-vo I think it was called?) chain was more resistant to stretching than that article would imply. When I got to about 100k miles on my FZR back in the day I called Yamaha and asked about cam chain stretch and their recommended replacement interval, since it was never mentioned in the manual. Their answer was it should last the life of the engine, no replacement interval recommended. The chain did look a little different than what was shown in the article, but was fairly similar.

Bike
09 ST1300
Nor have I heard of an ST1300 cam chain stretching. The timing marks on my ST1300 could all still be aligned perfectly at 150,000+ miles.
I just got finished replacing both my 1300 cam chains due to wear and an obvious misalignment of the timing marks, accompanied by intermittent ticking noise from the rh side tensioner. I replaced the tensioners too because they were showing wear near the fully extended area of the plungers. I will find photos to post. Chains were on back order, none on the Continent so this is not a common repair, but I will tell you for sure that the 1300 chains do indeed wear (or stretch, as some say) and if I had to guess I'd say the marks were off around 8 degrees at the cams. I put new chains alongside old chains to compare and the length difference is obvious. Engine runs very smooth now and seems to idle like new, have not ridden yet due to winter. This was as 185000 kms or around 115000 miles. The chains do wear, but nobody replaces them and I probably didn't need to but I'm a little fussy about things like that..... :)

Attachments

Top Bottom