Attention 175-180lb ST Dudes

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
If you are around 175- 180lbs with out gear and have changed the stock suspension on your ST1300, what changes did you make and how did it affect the ride and handling.
I.E, FRONT;what spring, brand and rate, what oil, what valving, what spacer length, REAR;what brand and rate rear spring and shock, what settings on pre-load and damping....etc,etc. What tire would also help. Any additional info you think pertinent.

This info would really help in the quest to pick the right upgrades and set it up close to where it should be.
Most of the threads I have seen on suspension either are dealing with guys over 200Lbs or under 170lbs. They also omit a lot of information on the rider.
Thank you!:bow1:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Re: ]Attention 175-180lb ST Dudes

I guess no one in your weight class has seen this yet.

I weigh 152-155 in street clothes. Solo rider. I am using the OEM front springs of .865 kg/mm. My spacers add 16 mm of preload, static sag is 36 mm. The fork oil is a 2 to 1 mix of Honda SS-7 5 wt and Honda SS-8 10 wt for actual 6.7 wt. The forks are raised 5 mm in the clamps.

The rear shock is stock 900 lb spring, Race Tech rework with their internals. Preload is 7 to 9 clicks from beginning of resistance. Approximately 30 mm of static sag. I use 1 3/8 to 1 1/2 turns out from full hard on rebound.

Michelin PR3 tires.

Bike
ST1300 '08
Tom, I'm 170 - (was 178 at the time, but that was pre P90X which is another story... :))

6' tall if that matters

Came to the ST from a Wee. Did Sonic springs on the Wee, which really needs something to stiffen the front, and was very pleased.... as is (stock) the ST is SO much better I didn't think it needed anything, but I know Rich a little bit (Sonic dealer) and am a fan, so decided to go for it.

Bit the bullet partially because the whole kit with oil is less than $100. I also run PR2's which have treated me very very well in terms of mileage and performance and in some bad rain storms I've been caught in miles from home.

I remain a huge fan of Sonics. I suspect that any of the aftermarket spring/oil kits make a nice positive difference. Since doing the springs, behavior in the heavy winds and crosswinds is MUCH better. there is zero (to my sensitivity) negative in the ride.. it's not rock hard or anything, just fine. But the handling is just much more "on a rail" and very true and stable. Cornering, winds, any speed, just really secure and predictable. I think it's one of those things where you don't know what you're missing (since the ST "as is" is pretty good) until you ride an ST with a better front end.

my specs: I don't remember the oil... it's right on the numbers of what is recommended for my weight, and I cut the spacers according to the instructions as well. so nothing out of the ordinary. I did have a question for Rich when I cut the spacers, so phoned him and he talked me through it on the spot - typical of his excellent service.

FWIW I "think" my rear shock is OK, but I will probably upgrade that as well down the road.

bottom line IMO is that firmer/better springs and the proper oil (any brand) are a smart and simple upgrade. Sonics happen to be inexpensive and highly functional.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tom P
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Tom, I'm 170 - (was 178 at the time, but that was pre P90X which is another story... :))

6' tall if that matters

Came to the ST from a Wee. Did Sonic springs on the Wee, which really needs something to stiffen the front, and was very pleased.... as is (stock) the ST is SO much better I didn't think it needed anything, but I know Rich a little bit (Sonic dealer) and am a fan, so decided to go for it.

Bit the bullet partially because the whole kit with oil is less than $100. I also run PR2's which have treated me very very well in terms of mileage and performance and in some bad rain storms I've been caught in miles from home.

I remain a huge fan of Sonics. I suspect that any of the aftermarket spring/oil kits make a nice positive difference. Since doing the springs, behavior in the heavy winds and crosswinds is MUCH better. there is zero (to my sensitivity) negative in the ride.. it's not rock hard or anything, just fine. But the handling is just much more "on a rail" and very true and stable. Cornering, winds, any speed, just really secure and predictable. I think it's one of those things where you don't know what you're missing (since the ST "as is" is pretty good) until you ride an ST with a better front end.

my specs: I don't remember the oil... it's right on the numbers of what is recommended for my weight, and I cut the spacers according to the instructions as well. so nothing out of the ordinary. I did have a question for Rich when I cut the spacers, so phoned him and he talked me through it on the spot - typical of his excellent service.

FWIW I "think" my rear shock is OK, but I will probably upgrade that as well down the road.

bottom line IMO is that firmer/better springs and the proper oil (any brand) are a smart and simple upgrade. Sonics happen to be inexpensive and highly functional.
Do you remember what rate spring you got from Sonic?

OP
OP
Tom P
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Re: ]Attention 175-180lb ST Dudes

I guess no one in your weight class has seen this yet.

I weigh 152-155 in street clothes. Solo rider. I am using the OEM front springs of .865 kg/mm. My spacers add 16 mm of preload, static sag is 36 mm. The fork oil is a 2 to 1 mix of Honda SS-7 5 wt and Honda SS-8 10 wt for actual 6.7 wt. The forks are raised 5 mm in the clamps.

The rear shock is stock 900 lb spring, Race Tech rework with their internals. Preload is 7 to 9 clicks from beginning of resistance. Approximately 30 mm of static sag. I use 1 3/8 to 1 1/2 turns out from full hard on rebound.

Michelin PR3 tires.
What improvement did that have over stock?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
What did these changes do? Sag targets become achievable, reduced dive under braking, reduced front wheel nervousness in bumpy corners, better tracking into and out of corners, reduced wallowing around the headstock in fast sweepers, deeper or later braking and earlier throttle pick up as the bike isn't bobbing or pitching in the corner, increased ground clearance for more lean angle. The massaged forks are less jarring over sharp edged bumps without being mushy, soft, or bottoming out under heavy braking.

I made most of the changes so long ago it is actually kind of hard to remember it stock.

Unless you weigh about 100 lbs the Sonic calculator will always recommend 1.2 Kg/mm springs. Race Tech recommends a range from about .86 Kg/mm and up depending on rider weight above 145 lbs. The stock springs are .86 Kg/mm. I always think there is something wrong with the Sonic rate calculator based in how well my stock springs responded to more preload. If the bike came with adjustable preload forks that is the first thing an owner or tuner would experiment with. Instead we just pitch them out in the trash. At 155 I am on the heavy side of what the stock springs can do however and most US riders are way past the .86 point so they need higher rate springs.

Last edited:
Bike
05 ST1300
Interesting thread, I've thot about doing something like this for a while now, but didn't know where to start, and, as was mentioned, the ST does work very well in stock configuration.

Byron

STOC #
I'm in your range and modified the suspension of my ST. Ordered Hyperpro front springs and fully adjustable rear shock and steering damper. I don't know, can't remember the spring rates. At first it was simply a front spring swap and fluid weight change, per Hyperpro recommendation. I didn't shorten the factory spacer and the bike rode higher after the install. It also felt better. Then I installed the rear shock which also raised the rear of the bike and balanced out the bike. The dampener was an insurance piece to prevent possible tank slapper. With the Hyperpro parts the bike handled much better than the factory setup. Because it sat higher scraping in the corners was reduced. I could run it faster through the corners and confidence was better. I later installed Race Tech Gold Valve Kit with also improved the front response especially on how it handled bumps encountered in turns. It kept the front tire planted while absorbing shock.

My suspension mods really improved the ST so if you're looking at handling improvements do it! Talk to the companies and tell them what you are looking for in the bikes handling and they will recommend the best parts to meet your needs as not everyone's needs are the same.

OP
OP
Tom P
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Quote Originally Posted by ksievers
Tom, I looked it up. I got the 1.2 springs and 7.5 oil, which apparently Rich tends to recommend for everyone it seems, unless they are really heavy. I had met him before; he actually did the total install on my WeeStrom and refused to take a dime for it. On that bike, I told him I wasn't sure about the work and he said, bring it up to his house... I did, he dropped everything and did it on the spot. He's a remarkably generous guy and an expert rider/tweaker.

My riding style is probably about a 6-7 on a scale of 1-10 if 10 is a maniac expert leaning over scraping pegs and all that. I like to think I'm pretty good but on the other hand I have no delusions, nor need for a bike set up like a race bike.

I live in Oklahoma, and it's ALWAYS windy. My annual big trip has me doing a lot of miles in the heavy crosswinds, which is no picnic. This past summer, after I put in the Sonics, amazingly better. And with my radar detector I'll sit on 90+ mph quite often. Crosswinds, no big deal at all. I credit that to the springs.

and, it was fun and easy to do the install - and I now know my bike better for having taken that much of it apart. IMO it's a win/win and you just can't beat it for $100.

the other, pricier brands are fine too I'm sure.. but I think all we're doing is fixing the front forks' tendency to react too much and dance around too much. With all that settled, the bike is just better - and you WILL notice it. Ride is supple and comfy too. No negatives.

Top Bottom