Audio problem with XM

Bike
BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I have my Delphi SkyFi connected to an Autocom. When I first hooked it all up, it worked fine. When I started out on my last trip, I couldn't get any audio from the XM radio. In playing around with it, I found that if I pulled the audio plug part way out from the radio, I could get mono sound.

I did a little rewiring prior to the trip. I can't remember if I changed the specific audio cable for the XM or not. The plug going into the XM is a stereo plug (2 black bands means stereo, right?) and the end going into the isolated Audiocom splitter box is also stereo.

Anything obviously wrong here?

OP
OP
MLRickards
Bike
BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Could be something as simple as a cable that is partially unplugged.

Mark, order a good portion of that duplex power cable and, when your back in town, block off a Saturday, come to b-fast, and we'll all help you rewire that ST afterwards. :)
I checked the cable connections and they're all tight. I may just take you up on the rewire offer!

Marshal_Mercer

Bumbleberry + Crumble = Yum!
Bike
Has new home
STOC #
I checked the cable connections and they're all tight. I may just take you up on the rewire offer!
As has been suggested, this may be as simple as an audio jack that is not fully seated into its plug. There are two other areas to check, though.

In my experience, the Delphi SkyFi's stock, stereo, audio-out cable has been notoriously faulty in its wiring stability, i.e. one wire breaks. Before you try anything else, try a known-to-be-good set of earphones/ear buds having a male 3.5 mm (1/8th inch) end mini jack instead of the stock wire. If you hear a stereo signal, swap the old cable for a new one.

The other thing you might find is that the radio connectors are slightly corroded where the radio fits into the cradle. Remove the radio from the cradle, then clean the connectors. Reassemble and have a listen.

Best of luck on this.

Marshal

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Is the cable you're using a GLI type? If the XM and the comm unit are both bike powered you need to connect them together with an isolated cable or you'll get all kinds of strange problems.

OP
OP
MLRickards
Bike
BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Is the cable you're using a GLI type? If the XM and the comm unit are both bike powered you need to connect them together with an isolated cable or you'll get all kinds of strange problems.
The cable is a standard 1/8 inch stereo cable, but it's connected to the autocom using an autocom isolated lead. It all worked when I first hooked it up, so something strange has happened. I'll be checking for the broken wire mentioned earlier.

Marshal_Mercer

Bumbleberry + Crumble = Yum!
Bike
Has new home
STOC #
Mark:

One more thing to try before you pull out wires: check to see that your VOX is not on too high. At some settings, the VOX will sound like it is pulling the stereo signal apart. As the Autocom was once working, and now is not, the VOX might have been accidentally turned up.

Marshal

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Yup. Received this morning from XM directly:

#######################################
Service Degradation Alert

You may be experiencing temporary degraded performance with your XM reception at
the present time. XM is aware of the issue and working diligently to resolve it
as soon as possible. We anticipate full signal strength will be restored by early
Tuesday morning.

#######################################

It was really awful last night, better this morning but still not good. Last night it was fading in and out constantly for no apparent reason with several "NO SIGNAL" messages appearing on my receiver, even when I was in the clear. We had a pretty thick marine layer last night so I wondered if that was it.
This morning I would loose the signal going under every single tree, bridge, etc., then the signal would come back and fade a few seconds later each time. I normally don't even loose the signal going under freeway over passes around here. It would kinda hang in there if I was in the clear though.

Guess I wasted my time last night trying to trouble shoot my system!

STOC #
But, but, but they said it would be cleared up yesterday PM. Afterall it was just a software glitch!

"As many of you know, XM customers have experienced service outages or significantly degraded service since Monday mid-morning, May 21.

We quickly identified the problem and are working hard to return to our normal levels of service. The problem occurred during the loading of software to a critical component of our satellite broadcast system, which resulted in a loss of signal from one of our satellites. We expect normal service to resume midday today (eastern daylight time). "

Neil S.

STOC #
Well, thats good news to me. I used my XM for the first time on my bike yesterday on a run to Fat Mamas Tamales in Natchez. Needless to say, the results were extremely poor (reception that is, not tamales). I was about ready to mount my antenna on top of my head. Hopefully they will get this cleared up in the next week or so.

OP
OP
MLRickards
Bike
BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Well, I thought my bad reception was from a poor wiring job I did from a test ride last night.

Pulled the bike apart and am completely redoing the entire mess, changing things around this time. Only to find out, that it wasn't my fault! :mad:

Oh well, I wasn't happy with the setup anyway. Got to love technology.
You're going to win the "tore my bike apart most in a year" award if you're not careful :)

STOC #
Just found this on XM's site:
XM Radio Resumes Normal Levels of Service

XM Satellite Radio has resumed normal levels of service for customers who experienced outages or significantly degraded service starting yesterday.

The problem occurred during the loading of software to a critical component of the satellite broadcast system, which resulted in a temporary loss of signal from one of the company's satellites.

After you turn on your XM radio, please allow five to ten minutes to reacquire the XM signal.

XM apologizes for any inconvenience this has caused.

Neil S.

Top Bottom