audiovox cruise control surges on 'set'...

I followed Ray's excellent instructions and installed it without any trouble. Thanks Ray!
The only thing that's less than perfect is, when I set the speed it surges to about 5 MPH faster than I was cruising when I set it....then it functions as you'd expect it to.

It's really great to have the cruise control feature but if anyone has a guess as to why it wants to accelerate 5 mph before it locks I'd love to hear it.

I made a vacuum canister out of 2" PVC just like the instructions on Ray's web site and used the check valve he listed...

Any suggestions are most welcome.

Not sure if it would help, but where did you put the check valve? I didn't use a canister at all and put the check valve right next to the map sensor and it works perfect for me.

Tom

OP
OP
duSTy said:
Not sure if it would help, but where did you put the check valve? I didn't use a canister at all and put the check valve right next to the map sensor and it works perfect for me.

Tom
I put the check valve between the canister and the engine
very close to the canister (aproximately two inches of tubing between valve and canister). The canister is in the fairing, right side behind the speaker grill area. I cut the excess vacuum tubing coming from the cruise/servo unit. Probably removed 12 inches or so, then ran more tubing from the check valve to the "T" near the map sensor.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Are the switches set for a light vehicle with lots of hosspressure?

--Mark

OP
OP
Yea, check valve allows flow to the engine. The dip switches are set according to the instructions on Ray's website, I'll double check them soon.

OP
OP
Paul said:
Is it your wording or is the valve in backwards. The engine creates the vacuum. The check valve should allow flow from the engine.

Paul
I hope it's a wording problem.

As I understand it the engine creates varying degrees of negative pressure in the vacuum tubing depending on RPM's and the 'flow' would travel towards the engine. I have the check valve installed between the engine and the canister so that the engine can 'suck' freely from the canister but any positive or increase in pressure can not travel from the engine side back into the canister by way of the check valve.

Do I have it installed right?

STOC #
Yes, the flow should be going towards the engine. If the valve has an arrow, it will be pointing towards the engine.

George

By removing the tubing, you effectively removed 12 inches times the inside volume of the opening for one inch. I don't use a cannister at all, and I would think that your cannister would create more space than the 12 inches you took off. I know it is a pain, but can you move the check valve closer to the sensor? I am certainly no expert on this and can't give you a good explanation as to why this would be better, just something to try while you are in there with some other suggestions. I talked to a friend of mine who had put a lot of these on old 1200 goldwings and his point was to put it close to the engine. I know on the FJR site many there talk about putting in a valve for each throttle body. I put my "T" pipe under the sensor and about 1 inch or so of tubing to the check valve, then all the way to the servo. If all the settings are correct, there just isn't a whole lot else. It is kinda hard to look for leaks also. You could try a hose clamp or cable tie on all the tube connection for something else to try.

Other than that, I'm sure the very much smarter people on this list will offer other suggestions.

Tom

Top Bottom