Autocom, and the Garmin Power/Audio Lead Problem Solved

Marshal_Mercer

Bumbleberry + Crumble = Yum!
Bike
Has new home
STOC #
I have both located the problem and found the solution for the intermittent audio problem heard when running the Garmin GPS through an Autocom amplifier: the power lead/audio lead (pigtail) sold by Garmin for the Autocom has a faulty wire connection to the audio pigtail. This results in low volume or no audio output at all. The solution is to remove the female end of the Garmin product (pigtail) and the male end of the Autocom isolated audio cable (jack), then solder the wires together.

Marshal

Marshal_Mercer said:
I have both located the problem and found the solution for the intermittent audio problem heard when running the Garmin GPS through an Autocom amplifier: the power lead/audio lead (pigtail) sold by Garmin for the Autocom has a faulty wire connection to the audio pigtail. This results in low volume or no audio output at all. The solution is to remove the female end of the Garmin product (pigtail) and the male end of the Autocom isolated audio cable (jack), then solder the wires together.

Marshal

Ok. Dr. Mercer...Is that why I sometimes don't hear the Garmin Robot Lady? As u know, I have the Autocom Pro and am real pleased w/ it

Last edited by a moderator:
Louie Louie said:
Ok. Dr. Mercer...Is that why I sometimes don't hear the Garmin Robot Lady? As u know, I have the Autocom Pro and love it.
Esteemed Mr. Zimmerman, Esq.:

More than likely, yes. As the weather gets hotter, the metal the audio jack is made of expands. This sometimes creates slightly too much "slop" between the male and female ends of the audio jack. For a quick fix, turn on your bike and GPS. Hold the male audio jack so that it is being twisted slightly forward or back relative to the female audio jack. Voila! Audio is back. Any movement and the sounds is gone, though. The male part of the jack should be a molded piece, 90 degrees offset relative to its cable. While the male and female jacks are together and seated fully, fold the male end's cable so that it is parallel with the female end's cable (pigtail) and in the same direction, then tape it that way. That will cant the jack enough to fix this in the short-term. The long-term fix is to cut off the ends and solder them together.

It took me about twenty hours to solve this puzzle! Days get hot: problem. Days get cool: no problem. Along the way I learned about more than thirty things that don't contribute to this mess!

You humble servant,

Marshal

Marshal_Mercer said:
It took me about twenty hours to solve this puzzle! Days get hot: problem. Days get cool: no problem. Along the way I learned about more than thirty things that don't contribute to this mess!
You humble servant,
Marshal
Thats pretty good!

Back
Top Bottom