Autocom Intercom & Bike to Bike?

rickj

Former ST1300 Rider. FJR now.
Bike
2012 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
I'm considering buying a ProSport 7 unit from a fellow ST'er. I plan on using it primarily for bike-to-bike communications as well as intercom with my wife on back. (The music and cell phone capability are a bonus.) I'm confused about how I can talk through the intercom to my passenger without transmitting to other bikes in the group when I have the radio plugged in.

I thought I read that the PTT switch would take care of that, but I just spoke with a local dealer who said that what I want to do is not possible with Autocom. If I want to talk on the intercom to my passenger, he said that I must have the radio unplugged! Is this true? If so, this is a serious deficiency. Even my old Chatterbox had an intercom switch so I could talk to my passenger without transmitting.

Thanks in advance!
Rick

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
Wow! That dealer does not know his products.

We always ride 2-up and utilize the intercom. The radar detector, gps and cell phone are also always connected. We either connect a cb or frs 2-way radio depending on who we are riding with. The PTT switch keys the radio. Otherwise everything works as normal with or without a 2-way radio connected.

BTW, the Autocom allows the passenger to hear everything as well along with being able to talk on the phone.

Ray

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
rickj said:
I'm considering buying a ProSport 7 unit from a fellow ST'er. I plan on using it primarily for bike-to-bike communications as well as intercom with my wife on back. (The music and cell phone capability are a bonus.) I'm confused about how I can talk through the intercom to my passenger without transmitting to other bikes in the group when I have the radio plugged in.

I thought I read that the PTT switch would take care of that, but I just spoke with a local dealer who said that what I want to do is not possible with Autocom. If I want to talk on the intercom to my passenger, he said that I must have the radio unplugged! Is this true? If so, this is a serious deficiency. Even my old Chatterbox had an intercom switch so I could talk to my passenger without transmitting.

Thanks in advance!
Rick
Rick

You have been given wrong information. With the Autocom Pro 7 unit, you need the PTT switch in line in order to stop your transmissions going out over the air to other bikers on the same frequency.

I have the same set up! Without the PTT switch, when you talk to your passenger, and you have a transmitter hooked up to the system, the transmission will go out to everyone as it keys up the transmitter when you speak, that is what it is designed to do particularly for trainers such as myself.

As soon as you put the PTT switch in line, you have three options. With the switch in the middle position, your conversation will not be transmitted over the radio, only to your passenger. If you want to key the transmitter with the toggle switch in the centre position, you have to press the PTT button.

If you move the toggle switch to the right, then that works VOX and all your transmissions will again be sent over the air as it has just keyed up the radio.

If you move the toggle switch to the left, your radio goes into permanant transmit mode.

So, when running with a pillion such as the wife, and you want a private conversation, the toggle switch sits in the middle, if you want to transmit to your friends, you press the PTT button.

Believe me as I have that set up on my bike with the PTT switch. This will only work with the Autocom Pro and the new AVI as I have recently made some enquiries with Autocom UK for someone else on the forum.

Your cell phone will work through the Autocom providing you can get the connection part that goes into the bottom of the phone, and your MP3 player or radio just plugs in and both you and your passenger get wall to wall music.

Hope that helps, but I do have this exact system running on my bike, and the PTT switch does work as I posted.

OP
OP
rickj

rickj

Former ST1300 Rider. FJR now.
Bike
2012 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Thanks, guys. That dealer definitely does not know his products, so I'm glad you have been able to clarify for me. I didn't realize that the PTT was a more complex 3-way toggle switch - I thought it was a simple push switch.

At any rate, I'm going to try the radio out tomorrow. I'll have to get a PTT from that same dealer that was misleading me!

Best regards,
Rick

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
The PTT switch is a simple push button. It comes with a miniature toggle switch below the button. It could come in handy but I found it annoying and it hangs down far enough to touch the tank with the steering at full lock so I removed the toggle switch and shortened the switch housing.

Ray

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
rickj said:
Thanks, guys. That dealer definitely does not know his products, so I'm glad you have been able to clarify for me. I didn't realize that the PTT was a more complex 3-way toggle switch - I thought it was a simple push switch.

At any rate, I'm going to try the radio out tomorrow. I'll have to get a PTT from that same dealer that was misleading me!

Best regards,
Rick
Rick

If you have any problems with your dealer, I am quite happy to help you out as all of the folk on the forum. If you need to stop the tansmissions going out over your radio that is connected to the Autocom Pro 7, you need the PTT switch in line.

I have the Pro 7 on my bike and do a lot of rider training with bike to bike of course for obvious reasons. Putting the PTT in line just fulfills the system to exactly what my needs are. And it sounds like you are looking for the same results that I have here. The PTT switch button or whatever you want to call it, will give you the control.

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
I've got a new question related to this thread. I'm coming off an '01 GL1800A on which I installed the Kennedy FRSset. The particular configuration I had allowed me to use either a Motorola two pin type FRS or a handheld CB, either the Maxxon or Cobra which also used the same two pin plug. My helmets all already have headsets with the standard connection to the Goldwing headset plug.

Here's the question: On their new systems does Autocomm make a Bike-to bike plug-in that is a two pin Motorola type ? I've looked on their website but all that I see appears to be single pin like Kenwood FRS radios use. I know the newest line of Motorolas have also gone to a single pin. Problem is I already own several very good performing FRS and CB radios.

Because I already own several, I'd hate to have to go out and buy a new FRS and a new CB just to have bike-to-bike with the Autocomm system. From all I've read it appears the Autocomm is the direction I want to go in.

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
Yes, Autocom sells the cable for the Cobra, etc.

It looks like this...

You will need to use Autocom headsets in your helmets. If you're coming from the GoldWing intercom and cellset, get prepared to be blown away. You will not believe the difference in performance.

Ray

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
Hey thanks Ray, that does look like the two pin end I am referring to.

Why do I have to go to Autocomm headsets, are they a different configuration or something? A mandatory change of headsets would be a deal breaker, three helmets all with very good performing (and expensive) headsets already installed.

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
The J&M headsets aren't Autocom compatible. They are definitely expensive but you will be amazed at the difference in performance. The Autocom headsets are a breeze to install by comparison and are very affordable.

Ray

Top Bottom