Autocom Issue

Louie Louie

I have an Autocom Pro unit. Sometimes there is a deafening high pitched sound when I connect the helmet wire to the Autocom. I also get what sounds like distortion.

I had the same issue w/ my 03. What the heck could it posssible be? Is the Autocom defective? After a bit everything starts working like a charm! I use ER6's and connect them to an extention cord for them.

There is an amplirider and the Autocom is connected to it and I have a volume knob and a couple filters to boot!

Byron

STOC #
Louie,

It's been a while since I've used mine but I too get a noise when connecting the headset connector to the box line. I think it is just a normal thing like you get with other audio equipment from time to time when you turn them on. Some pop some give you a noise of some sort.

Marshal_Mercer

Bumbleberry + Crumble = Yum!
Bike
Has new home
STOC #
I have an Autocom Pro unit. Sometimes there is a deafening high pitched sound when I connect the helmet wire to the Autocom. I also get what sounds like distortion.

I had the same issue w/ my 03. What the heck could it posssible be? Is the Autocom defective? After a bit everything starts working like a charm! I use ER6's and connect them to an extention cord for them.

There is an amplirider and the Autocom is connected to it and I have a volume knob and a couple filters to boot!
Louis:

As I remember, the last time we looked into this problem it was a jack-size/plug-size mismatch between the Autocom adapter cable for the ER6s and the Autocom's or the AmpliRider's input port. I believe that the solution was to quickly plug in. Doing so slowly caused the squeal.

Marshal

OP
OP

Louie Louie

Louis:

As I remember, the last time we looked into this problem it was a jack-size/plug-size mismatch between the Autocom adapter cable for the ER6s and the Autocom's or the AmpliRider's input port. I believe that the solution was to quickly plug in. Doing so slowly caused the squeal.

Marshal
Ok..will try that out....Thanks

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
Marshal,

Here is how I hooked up the unit. I have a ground loop filter that is hooked up to the quartet harness. Then ran the power to the Autocom and Amplirider. There was still some engine noise with the Autocom speakers and ER6's. I put the ground loop filter you hooked up in and the noise went away. I also put the noise filter you had from the XM on the 03 in line from the output of the Amplirider to the input of the Autocom. That way everything that goes through the Amplirider to the Autocom is filtered.

I remember someone telling about noise that started due to the wires in the Amplirider that came loose. The next thing I want to try is to remove the Amplirider and see if that is the problem.

Marshal_Mercer

Bike
Has new home
STOC #
Marshal,

Here is how I hooked up the unit. I have a ground loop filter that is hooked up to the quartet harness. Then ran the power to the Autocom and Amplirider. There was still some engine noise with the Autocom speakers and ER6's. I put the ground loop filter you hooked up in and the noise went away. I also put the noise filter you had from the XM on the 03 in line from the output of the Amplirider to the input of the Autocom. That way everything that goes through the Amplirider to the Autocom is filtered.

I remember someone telling about noise that started due to the wires in the Amplirider that came loose. The next thing I want to try is to remove the Amplirider and see if that is the problem.
You could do that -- or you could just plug in the ER6s quickly. You could even plug in the ER6s, then put them into your ears.

The problem, as I recall, is that the earpiece plug is slightly too small for the Autocom's earpiece-adapter socket. Being loose allows for an intermittent signal, and the squealing sound you heard.

Marshal

Marshal_Mercer

Bike
Has new home
STOC #
Louis:

I was thinking about your Autocom and the noise. I believe that your female Autocom cable connector has a few bits of plastic insulation missing. That could be the entire problem of the errant noise.

Marshal

OP
OP

Louie Louie

Louis:

I was thinking about your Autocom and the noise. I believe that your female Autocom cable connector has a few bits of plastic insulation missing. That could be the entire problem of the errant noise.

Marshal
Yes Dr. M.... you are correct about the plug. I emailed Autocom Tech. I am waiting to hear from them.Thanks. The other issue has to do w/ the amplirider. I emailed Gary but would u happen to have his phone#?
Louie

Top Bottom