Avoid Brookside Alabama!

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
yeah, I understood that.

The thread went off on a minor tangent regarding speed traps in other places, so I was responding to that aspect of the thread.
FWIW, the one I posted about Morrison CO wasn't a minor tangent. It wasn't about speed trap per se. The post was right on course of yet another municipality still functioning in disgusting ways, still doing it today, including speed traps, seizures, extortive activity, etc (as described in one of the links I provided). Morrison is nearly a duplicate of what Mark linked in post #1 about Brookside AL. The CO DOT even got involved at one point about their putting unenforceable City speed limit signs on State highway, and at least dealt a blow to one of their 4 high-revenue entrances into Morrison.
:shrug:

This scam has been going on for ages.
Yep. Sad how many. Glad to hear New Rome's municipality was dissolved by the State in 2004--only took Ohio a few years to get that solved! Good on OH!

Really makes one wonder why the racket in Brookside AL is now ~6 years old, and Morrison CO more than a decade (as examples, likely many more). It raises the spectacle of how their [corrupt] approach remains functioning still, with all the clear history.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Well, with the egregious Nixon era "war on drugs" winding down, now that many states are becoming more progressive and legalizing pot, the money for policing has to come from somewhere.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
KY did away with that nonsense with the passage of the new Judicial article in 1975. It eliminated all City and County Courts, and established a state run series of District Courts. All fine revenue is administered by and goes to the State. The article provided a grant to the cities and counties to make up for the lost revenue. There is no financial benefit to the local agency from running speedtraps. They may run radar pursuant federal grants that do require a city to show some results for money spent, but there's no financial incentive for the judge to find you guilty. I have personal experience that Ohio permits the local cities to have their own Courts, and I presume they get to keep the revenue derived therefrom. It is a total rip off.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Right, the laws has to be changed across the country.
I disagree. The people who enforce them improperly need to be dealt with accordingly. I see no problem in making revenue off the backs of violators. "Trapping" them by lying in wait is fine by me. Contriving situations were it's nigh impossible to comply with the law in order to issue a ticket for revenue — is not. Requiring a number of tickets daily i.e. quota to garner revenue is not.

Of course I am biased in favor of heavy traffic enforcement for many reasons. A large part of that is because I ride to obey traffic laws.

Mankind's second oldest profession.
If all of lawlessness were a profession it would mankind's second oldest profession. As is it's tied for second. Make that first. LOL

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
This type of thing had been going on for years on I-45 north of Conroe TX. They finally changed traffic ticket laws so these little towns didn't get to keep all of that revenue anymore, ~2/3's of it goes to the state now. :biggrin:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
It looks like Mayor Bryan is taking action to sidestep his involvement i.e. tacit approval.

Top Bottom