Avon Storm failure on kids Blackbird

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Avon's warranty covers full replacement of the affected tire during the first 1 mm of tread depth. For me that might be 1000-1500 miles on a rear tire. After that no prorated warranty is offered. You do have to go back to the dealer that sold the tire for them to initate the claim process. Avon replaced one for me due to a non-repairable puncture.

OP
OP
brianm767
Bike
ST1300
What I meant was it looks like he may have ridden over something in the road that cut the tire like metal banding or a piece of sheet metal.
Yes it does look like that, but now he tells me he actually felt the vibration two days before the failure, and at that time he had another Deputy at work hold the rear of the bike down while he spun the wheel, so he didn't see any thing on three inspections, I'm surprised he didn't see some blistering or a bubble, or if it was a puncture, he didst see that?

OP
OP
brianm767
Bike
ST1300
Avon will maybe want to see the tire. If you can get it back that would be great. They might send a call tag for it. As far as warranty not sure thats Avon's call on that due to mileage.

The first thing they will ask is air pressure? What I am seeing is that when these tires get into that mileage range (7 to 10K) air pressure is real critical. The tires start producing a lot more heat if under inflated even by 5 lbs. This will cause the tire to delaminate. It seems there has been a lot of this going around. Becareful out there guys and gals. Keep a good check on things when your on the road and around town.
Air pressure is what I was really suspecting, my son lives in an apartment so he has no compressor, I asked if he had been keeping up on the pressure? he said yes, that's why I checked the rear as soon as I got home, it was at the 41 PSI he runs it at.

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
Ohhh, I thought it was STorm II.

I hate to say it Brian, but I'm glad:rolleyes: The other two that I have spoken of were the brand new IIs...

I'm still interested in what the outcome is....

Top Bottom