Avon Storms again

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Started new thread so I don't hijack an existing one. Just installed a set. The sky was real dark, but thought I could get a test ride in anyway. I understand they are supposed to be good in the rain, but someone else can do the lightning testing thank you.

The only decent S-turn within miles of here is only about two or three miles from my house. Initial impression on the way there was they are OK. Then as I left the neighborhood and began to gain a little speed I thought wow they are smooth and it rode nice. Then I hit a straight road. Did the old hands off test at 40-45ish (still residential area). Still smooth as glass. Couldn't tell about any pull either way as the wind was blowing too hard, storm mentioned above.

Got to the S-turn and as others have stated I went through it as fast or faster than I ever have and it was effortless. It didn't drift to the outside like it usually does. Turned the next corner and the sky was BLACK. Did the ole 180 and tried the turns a little faster on the way back, even better. I didn't really push the issue too much either as the tires only had three or four mile on them at this point, but I had to push them a little. They were very confidence inspiring. Got home just as the lightning got bad and it started sprinkling.

This is the initial impression, if things change I will post it. So far I give them a

Bike
'93 ST1100
Welcome to the sticky in the corners club!

You should run them at least the first 20 miles conservatively, since any tire can be slick until it loses the build crud. Many have lost it pulling out of a tire store with new tires.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
You said one thing that I have always said about this tire they inspire confidence. I feel the same way and as was stated above be careful on new tires you should scrub them in for 50- 100 miles before you push the hard.

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Just put on a new Avon replacing the old that I got 5400 miles. I am happy with that. As long as I can feel as good in the corners I will give up some mileage to keep it on the road.

Bike
06 ST1300A
STOC #
As you said confidence inspiring and smooth defines the Storms.Just ordered my third set two hours ago.Had the stock BT's and they were so so.Current PR2's are in the wear bars at 7,000 miles.The front more than the rear.I did not like these tires.Can't wait to get back on the Storms.My dealer wanted $424 plus tax not mounted and SWmoto delivers them for $281.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Keep in mind that all of us with stability issues (including myself) are all on the ST1100. I have not read of any stability issues on the 1300. Keep in mind we use different size tires.

+1 on the take it easy. I would also second the comment about at leat 100 miles. Take it easy in the corners until you get all the mold release worked off of them. The first time I put a new rear tire on my ST I came out of my pole barn and made the left to go down the driveway. Well I went right into a full lock slide. If it weren't for my dirt bike days I would have likely dumped it.

Even after 50 or 100 miles if you do a lot of straight riding things can get slick if you really lean it into a corner.

As for my Storms. Well I was looking at my tires and I have 1/8" chicken stripe on the right side and about 1/4" on the left.

Top Bottom