Avon Storms

epconde

Easy Ed
Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Has anyone been following this thread on the Motocycle Tourers Forum?

http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTourer/messages?msg=33826.1

General Discussion - ST1300 - Avon tyres says NO to Storm (48 views)

To: ALL (1 of 4)
I spoke with Tim at Two Brother Tires today and was told that he could not sell me a set of Avon Storms for my ST1300 as Avon has determined that they may affect or cause a high speed wobble. I was surprised to hear this as I was planning on putting a set on the bike soon.
WHat are you guys running for tires on your ST's?

To: jimsaubier (2 of 4)
have you tried ordering a set from swmoto? i've been running a z6/880 combo with relatively good results.

To: jimsaubier (3 of 4)
The last time I bought a new Avon Storm for my RT, I sent it back due to handling problems, at any speed. SWmotoTire told me that they do not recommend this tire due to all of the complaints and returns that they have had.

I have had good luck with the Z6 tires but the rear does not have a tread wear indicator on it because of the tread design and that is a problem for me.

I am now trying my first set of the new Dunlop Roadsmarts, its too early to tell anything yet about mileage but after about 2000 miles I really like the handling.

Seems that the tire manufacturers keep changing and keep us guessing about what to do.

To: nankoweap (3 of 4)
I'm pretty sure that I can order them from one of the supply houses since the size is available and they don't ask what you are putting them on. I was a little surprised at this stance from Avon and was trying to formulate a plan forward. This is the first that I've heard anything negative about the Storm's so I guess I'm surprised by that. My brother has a set on his FJR that I put on and they seem great on that bike.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Hmmm, I had a set on my ST and it would weave at high speed in certain conditions. I wonder if it could have been the tires that caused it? Otherwise they were good tires, long wearing and good grip, especially in the rain.

Bike
'05 ST 1300
I have a tread-wear gauge that I use to monitor tread depth. It's a small device similar to a slide rule with a scale indicating "safe". This is in response to the fellow who didn't like not having tread wear indicators.

So many tires, so little time.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
I have been running Avon Storms since they came out. I also have two more in the garage waiting to go on my ST1300. Don't get as much mileage as I would like (7 to 7.5 K miles) but do really like how they stick and handle for my type of riding. Tires are like opinions. Everybody has a different one. By the way, I buy all my tires from SWM.

pretbek

Ŵΐļļ ŗĭδέ ∫ỗґ Ŧщịştịέş
Bike
Super Tenere
STOC #
Some Avon Storms (not all) cause head shake in ST1100's, so I am not extremely surprised at this news.

You can still run Storms if you are not very concerned with high speed wobble on your ST1300. Or try Dunlop Roadsmarts, which I have heard many good things about, or perhaps Michelin Pilot Road 2's, or Metzeler Z6 (maybe combo with ME880 rear)... Many choices if you wish to avoid Avons.

SWmototires.com
I believe still sells Storms for ST1300.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
that is the thread that i started on MTF. I spoke to Tim this morning and that is what he told me. I have not spoken to Avon. I have had great luck with Avon tyres in the past and had planned to use the Storms on the ST1300. After talking to Tim, I was just looking for other options or personal experience with why Avon has taken such an aggressive stance on these tires for the ST1300. They are almost 20% cheaper than the PR2's or the Z6/880 combo.

I have to ask. What is High Speed Whobble? The only thing I notice, and maybe this is what you are refering to, is that around 80 the bike seems to whobble side to side a little, especially if you are behind a car. Doesn't do it much when you have clean air. I have always figured this is just the wind blowing the bike around. IS that right???

Bike
'10 ST1300
STOC #
I have a tread-wear gauge that I use to monitor tread depth. It's a small device similar to a slide rule with a scale indicating "safe". This is in response to the fellow who didn't like not having tread wear indicators.

So many tires, so little time.
The Z6 rear tire has no tread cutting over the middle of the tire where it tends to wear flat. you cant tell how much tire is left until the cords start to show. Of course you could just eyeball the 'flatness' and decide to change the tire on that alone.

dteel

Dana Teel
Bike
ST1300ABS
STOC #
The Z6 rear tire has no tread cutting over the middle of the tire where it tends to wear flat. you cant tell how much tire is left until the cords start to show. Of course you could just eyeball the 'flatness' and decide to change the tire on that alone.
You all spend too much time on the center of the tire, you need to follow George along the 191, believe me, you will wear out the sides and have plenty of center tire left.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Some Avon Storms (not all) cause head shake in ST1100's, so I am not extremely surprised at this news.

You can still run Storms if you are not very concerned with high speed wobble on your ST1300. Or try Dunlop Roadsmarts, which I have heard many good things about, or perhaps Michelin Pilot Road 2's, or Metzeler Z6 (maybe combo with ME880 rear)... Many choices if you wish to avoid Avons.

SWmototires.com
I believe still sells Storms for ST1300.
I put Roadsmarts on my Blackbird and they stick better than the BT14s I had before. I don't think I got the Bridgestones hot enough for them to provide the grip they were capable of.

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
+1 on running the Storms on the ST1300 since they came out with no problems at all. Well over 30K miles in all conditions, including aggressive track days and triple digit speeds.

Better stick than the OEM Bridgestones and better mileage with them, too.

Now, that said, if you like a slow-steering tire, you will not like the Storms b/c they are very quick. I like a quick steering tire, so they're perfect for me. YMMV

If you'd like more info, there have been a NUMBER of threads on this subject that a simple search would reveal.
:cool:
:trolls:BDH:

I had such good luck with the pirellis on my Buell and the Diablo Stradas wore very well... But they don't make the right sizes... Now I'm learning about the tire sizes and available, etc... Oh well... Be a while, I hope, before I need any...

Kevin

Top Bottom