Avon Strom 2 - weird high spot

Bike
2014 Super Tenere
STOC #
Anyone develop a high spot on a rear storm 2?

Trying to determine what might be the cause. The bike runs like a Fred Flinstone bike with square wheels. I am religous on tire pressure and maintain a 42 psi. Tire balance is done with Dyna beads and I have never had issues with them. This tire has ~15k and is close to the wear bar.

Could the suspension do this? About 5k ago, I changed the front fork oil from 5wt to 10wt. That change made me adjust the rebound damping to a more stiff setting. Currently have a new progressive 465 shock to install when the new tire come in.

Michael

Bike
05 ST1300
I've had this happen quite often on automotive tires. The way it was explained to me was that a belt inside the tire (whether it's a steel belt or some synthetic material will depend on the construction of the tire), breaks, and the tire has lost some of it's structural integrity. Similar to when somebody gets a hernia - the supportive tissue ruptures and the inside pressure forces a bulge to occur. I've never had one come apart, but they get progressively worse and worse to the point where it feels as if that wheel's going to come right off. Eventually, I'm sure they would burst; I've never let them get that far.

Personally, on a bike, where your tire's integrity is much more closely related to your safety, I wouldn't go anywhere until that tire was changed.

It's happened most often to me on a vehicle that was carrying a load greater than the tire was rated for, and the belts just weren't up to the job. Also on a tire that got too hot, which would be caused by either overloading or under inflating. In this case, highly unlikely that it's one of those options - personally I'd suspect a manufacturing defect that just didn't show up until the tire was pretty much used up anyway; maybe the belt in question had a weak spot in it that went undetected before it was laid into the tire itself.

I don't know how suspension could cause this - but I don't claim to know it all, and maybe someone else could shed light on that if it was the case.

My advise: Change That Tire! And don't ride that bike until you do!

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
You got 15K out of a rear tire! Jump up and down in celebration and call Keel Brothers to order another one. Oh you already did order a new one. Anything you have hit or run over could have broken a belt, a pothole or any type of hard road debris. And it could have been a thousand mile ago or even more as it takes time to wear the rubber off after the break becomes a highspot.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I would guess that my rear Avon STorm II failure and Chris's as well (both on ST1100s) were caused by internal thread failures.
The last one (Chris's, AKA HerST) didn't show a break the inside of the tire; but, had steel belts sticking out of the tread.
No more Avons for our bikes.

Bike
ST-1100
Anyone develop a high spot on a rear storm 2?

Trying to determine what might be the cause. The bike runs like a Fred Flinstone bike with square wheels. I am religous on tire pressure and maintain a 42 psi. Tire balance is done with Dyna beads and I have never had issues with them. This tire has ~15k and is close to the wear bar.

Could the suspension do this? About 5k ago, I changed the front fork oil from 5wt to 10wt. That change made me adjust the rebound damping to a more stiff setting. Currently have a new progressive 465 shock to install when the new tire come in.

Michael
+1 a couple of weeks ago.

Top Bottom