AZ 191

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
Has anyone been on AZ191 (Devils Highway) from Morenci to Alpine lately? Seeing some orange color on the road close to Morenci and perhaps a bridge is or was out?

Heading up there this weekend and would like to know if the road is open all the way through.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
US191 from Morenci to Alpine is I believe called the Coronado Trail.

From a rider on the K1600 forum who just rode the trail it has just been chip sealed and is very loose and dangerous to ride.

Bike
2012 ST1300A
Wow, I live in AZ and have never ventured out to that area, looks like a great ride.

Please post about your trip after you get back, safe travels.

Hit me up if I can be of any help if you make it out to the valley (Phoenix area).

OP
OP
Mophead

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
Update on 191. Rode it Saturday afternoon and the road is open all the way through. I went from Alpine to Morenci. It needs a good hard rain to clean all the pea gravel that AZ DOT throws on the road for snow and ice naturally in the more technical sections. Caution is urged. Go in too hot and its sort of like riding a dirtbike but did manage to keep it out of the ditch and upright.

Met a cattle truck coming up the road. Guess he didn't see the no loads over 40 feet long. I did happen to spot him about three switchbacks below me so just parked and waited for him to come around the corner below me before heading on down. He took the entire corner and then some. If you had met him unexpected on a corner you would have gone under the truck as there would have been no where to go.

Earlier in the day did 260 out of Show Low and took the 273/261 loop by Big Lake and back into Eagar. Great loop that I had not done before. If ever in the area you need to add that to your list.

Then down to Alpine AZ and lunched at the Alpine Grill & Still where this sign is seen going into the eatery.

1618863061994.png

Not a mask in sight on ANYONE. My kind of place.

Overnight in Las Cruces and down to STudy Butte to meet up with friends and back home on Sunday. Winds were brutal on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Coming from El Paso to Davis mountains was an exercise in how far can you lean left and still go straight. Living in Amarillo i am used to the wind blowing so when I say its windy, its windy.

Two Alpines in one trip. I recommend it!

Top Bottom