Backrest Install on ST1300

Bike
ST1300
Hey guys.

Bike came with a backrest....a basic one. I'd like to install it and want to make sure I get it right. Would it simply be removing the luggage rack plate and placing the backrest is its place then using the original bolts to secure? The only install guide I can find is the pirate thing one which actually looks quite similar.

There's also a a bag with what looks like mounting bolts (bolts + spacers), but there's only 3 bolts....

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
2009 ST1300
mine had a rigid steel angle bolted through to the other side of the passenger seat with a good quality adjustable back rest and hardware, I removed it and recovered the passenger seat, but I was out riding with my new FJR 1300 buddy and he was telling me about one that flops down to enable two up, so there's some convertible units out there, I wouldn't mind having one if I knew I was in civil traffic just travelling, but if you need to dump the bike I think it could be a worst enemy situation, I've had one get that bike out in front sliding down the road deals, sometimes you really don't want to go along for the ride.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Hi Jamie:

Here are three photos that I took the day I bought the motorcycle, showing the backrest installed. The seat shown was a Corbin dual seat that came with the moto, I later traded it in at Corbin in California for the single Corbin seat and the Smuggler.

Michael

Backrest Photos
Backrest 1.jpg

Backrest 2.jpg

Backrest 3.jpg

Backrest 4.jpg

OP
OP
JamieE
Bike
ST1300
Thanks Michael, this is perfect. Although the cw-intl site doesn't exist anymore lol. But it clarifies things....like missing a screw :D . I couldn't figure out why there was only three bolts.

So it looks like I'd use the three bolts in a bag with the backrest and not the ones currently attaching the plate on the back. Spacers would go where the existing ones go.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
There's also a a bag with what looks like mounting bolts (bolts + spacers), but there's only 3 bolts....
If nuts aren't included you may be expected to use the factory nuts. This means you'll have no spares. To remove the plastic plate you'll pull the seat and reach up into the tail section to unscrew them. Be careful when removing and installing those two nuts that you don't drop them into the void. More than likely they'll disappear into a land of shadow and substance.

OP
OP
JamieE
Bike
ST1300
If nuts aren't included you may be expected to use the factory nuts. This means you'll have no spares. To remove the plastic plate you'll pull the seat and reach up into the tail section to unscrew them. Be careful when removing and installing those two nuts that you don't drop them into the void. More than likely they'll disappear into a land of shadow and substance.
Thank you. There was a small back with 3 nuts/bolts attached to the back rest. Based on the pics that Michael attached, I know there's one missing...and has been since before Michael took ownership. Reading up on the Pirate's Lair backrest install, it says to note where each spacer/nut comes from. Are they all different? I think the back and front nuts are different, but it looks like the spacers are all the same...

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Are they all different? I think the back and front nuts are different, but it looks like the spacers are all the same...
They're not all different but as you noted there may be a difference between the front and rear kit because of the difference in thickness. But damned if I can recall exactly.

I put a great rack on the back of my ST and it had for studs welded on in place of screws. They were all the same length. I think spacers were used... But those little gray cells were greater in number then than now.

But you'll sort it I'm sure. Just.Don't.Drop.Your.Nuts.

Top Bottom