Basic Battery Testing

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
Still using the "old style" (had this one for 25 years) with "oven" heating element. The new ones look much more convenient and easier to store.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Still using the "old style" (had this one for 25 years) with "oven" heating element. The new ones look much more convenient and easier to store.
Not that it's a must have I like the BT connection. I can connect the meter and start the car. The results (cranking voltage in particular) are captured on the meter. Nobody has to start the car while I watch the meter. This isn't an issue with the bike though the battery clamps are a bit on the big side.

If I already had an old style tester this wouldn't have been ordered. Why kid myself. This seems to do a lot and the bright and shiny always interests me.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I had to buy a new battery this year, they offered a Bluetooth monitor with it so now my phone will show battery health, voltage etc. without having connect anything.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I had to buy a new battery this year, they offered a Bluetooth monitor with it so now my phone will show battery health, voltage etc. without having connect anything.
hmm... adding parasitic load on both... ;)

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
hmm... adding parasitic load on both... ;)
Not sure that it is enough to worry about, probably time to change the battery if it is causing voltage to drop to a no crank level.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Not sure that it is enough to worry about, probably time to change the battery if it is causing voltage to drop to a no crank level.
The bike has a parasitic load already – the clock. And we seldom blame it for killing our batteries. How long would its battery last if not on a tender? I have no idea and won't research that. As for a load on the phone it's easy enough to disconnect it from the monitor and would probably disconnect on it's own depending on its BT range. That's usually 10m/33ft on a budget device and subject to environment.

On a car battery I'd guess it would be an insignificant load. Most newer cars/trucks have a digital clock as well as other car computer related kit that needs a constant power supply. So yeah probably not enough to worry about.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I have no idea and won't research that. As for a load on the phone it's easy enough to disconnect it from the monitor and would probably disconnect on it's own depending on its BT range. That's usually 10m/33ft on a budget device and subject to environment.
It isn’t a big deal as the device is smart enough to only talk to the phone once a day unless you prompt the phone to connect to the battery monitor.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
It isn’t a big deal as the device is smart enough to only talk to the phone once a day unless you prompt the phone to connect to the battery monitor.
Even less of an NBD than I might have thought. Good!

Top Bottom