Been ages since i've posted here......

Good to know this still exists. I have an 02 1300 that i've had since 2019ish. It's always had this issue with the ignition, and i've just "dealt" with it, but if there's a fix for it, i'd love to apply it.

The issue is, when you put the key in the ignition, 9 times out of 10, the key will not rotate clockwise. The "fix" is to cock the handlebars all the way to the left, and then turn the key counterclockwise as if you're going to lock the column, THEN (but not always on the first try), the ignition will turn clockwise as it should. It's finicky, but eventually works. Any ideas?

v/r

James

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Just a few possible ideas here.....
Have you lubed the tumbler assembly, checked the that the assembly isn't loose in the mount and checked the electrical portion at the bottom of the assembly for obvious corrosion/burned wires?
You may need to replace the assembly with a new one depending on what you find.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
If you lock the steering, the pin is sticking due to friction, and twisting the bars reduces it, like when you have to turn the steering wheel in your car a little to unlock the ignition.

OP
OP
WJHamel
Just a few possible ideas here.....
Have you lubed the tumbler assembly, checked the that the assembly isn't loose in the mount and checked the electrical portion at the bottom of the assembly for obvious corrosion/burned wires?
You may need to replace the assembly with a new one depending on what you find.
I've lubed it, there is no corrosion on any of the contacts. My mechanic even took a preliminary look at it and can't see why it's being stubborn. I may just have to tear it down to get to the cause.

OP
OP
WJHamel
If you lock the steering, the pin is sticking due to friction, and twisting the bars reduces it, like when you have to turn the steering wheel in your car a little to unlock the ignition.
I'm not even locking the steering. I only have to put it IN that position in order to get the ignition to turn. The "sticking" or refusing to turn clockwise is happening when the column is free.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I wouldn't use WD-40 on a lock unless I was going to disassemble it afterwards to clean and lube it with something designed for locks.

Curious that turning the 'bars allows you to work the key. Maybe hitting the full lock position shakes something inside the mechanism and then the key turns? Otherwise the only movement would be the IGN wires tugging on the bottom of the assembly.

I don't have the confidence to take the lock mechanism apart. Well I do but not the confidence to put it back together properly. This assumes it can be disassembled by mere mortals. If the lock is mounted tight to the steering head or wherever and there's no wiggle I'd replace the whole thing.

The down side is expense. There's also not having one key fits all unless it can be rekeyed. If it can there's the possibility of opening it up and cleaning it so that it works properly.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
If you have a second key I would try that and let us know if both keys have that problem. I've had several keys wear down and get sticky.

Bike
2005 ST-1300
Good to know this still exists. I have an 02 1300 that i've had since 2019ish. It's always had this issue with the ignition, and i've just "dealt" with it, but if there's a fix for it, i'd love to apply it.

The issue is, when you put the key in the ignition, 9 times out of 10, the key will not rotate clockwise. The "fix" is to cock the handlebars all the way to the left, and then turn the key counterclockwise as if you're going to lock the column, THEN (but not always on the first try), the ignition will turn clockwise as it should. It's finicky, but eventually works. Any ideas?

v/r

James
These have locking colums?
I learn something new on here everyday.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
It’s not friction in key wafers you have to worry about. Some of wafer‘s outside ends may also may not be lining up properly. It’s the outside mechanism surrounding cylinder that’s pushing on locking-pin that has stiction. Pin is only possible thing that’s affected by turning steering left & right. And only thing that is freed when turning to left fully as it lines up with hole.

Some things to try, no need to disassemble lock:

1. fully lock mechanism so pin sticks out. Spray some wax-lube from underneath onto pin and into gap between pin & lock to get inside. Do full sweep of ignition key. Repeat from beginning 3-5x

2. cut brand-new keys from key-code (not copies of existing keys). Then try them after doing #1

Bike
2010 ST1300
Some guys have said to lube the lock, but I'll tell you not to spray WD40 or any lube into the lock. Over time, oily lubes will attract and hold dirt and gum up the lock. I was told this by an old time locksmith. Only lube to use is dry, powdered graphite (sparingly) or a lock lube with an evaporating solvent that leaves graphite behind.

No reason why you cannot do what @DannoXYZ suggested, but not in the lock cylinder itself. My money is on an old worn key that is not moving the wafers properly.

Top Bottom