Bent rim

Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
Just had a new set of Shenko Verg 011 tires put on Moby. get them back on the bike, check everything twice, go for a test ride, and feel a very slight shake in the bars, at very (1st gear) low speed. A very slight back and forth handlebar oscillation. check everything out again, all good. Raise the front wheel up and give it a spin, and find a VERY slight bed in the outer edge of the rim (.040 maybe), not in the flat, (no run out there). So I think "did they (Cycle Gear) bend it? Go back to the store, he didn't think he bent it, he thinks might be a bad tire, so ordered me a new one (none in stock), said we'll compensate you for the trouble. So I get home, standing there looking at the bike, when I suddenly think "did I check air pressure?" NO, check it and find 31psi in front and 35psi in rear! Air up to 42 f&r and all is good, but I feel like a dumb ass. My question is would you be worried about this run out?

OP
OP
RichKat
Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
20230604_174823.jpg
The flat (yellow) and the "corner? " no run out
The edge (red) has .040 run out
Worry about using Cycle Gear again
Honestly I don't think they bent it, I think the air pressure thing caused me to search for a problem and I found this, but there's no shiny spot or scratch were it looks like it was dropped or hit so....

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
My non expert opinion says if it's the just the "red" edge, you're fine. (is it just one side or both side?)

If it's just one side, I might try gently tapping it with a block of wood and a hammer.

Bike
2010 ST1300
By your own admission, you don't know if the rim was bent before they mounted your tires. Short of miking our wheels before someone else mounts new tires, we are tacitly accepting responsibility for minor damage like this. Were there a serious deformation and Cycle Gear did not point this out in a phone call before beginning work, that's a wheel of a different shape.

I'd not worry about it, it is minor. I'd wager a lot of spoked wheels have more run out than 0.040". When was the last time you checked your wire spoke wheels?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
No I would not think you would even feel that flat spot. I’ve had worse and no vibrations or other problems.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Honda specification is maximum allowable radial and axial run-out of 0.080".
Forget about it. Most wheel straightening places will only commit to getting a bent wheel to within the manufacturer's specifications, not zero.
You will never feel that, go ride.

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
20230604_174823.jpg
The flat (yellow) and the "corner? " no run out
The edge (red) has .040 run out

Honestly I don't think they bent it, I think the air pressure thing caused me to search for a problem and I found this, but there's no shiny spot or scratch were it looks like it was dropped or hit so....
What l meant about Cycle Gear was if they didn’t catch the low air pressures theTWO times you were in there,lwouldn’t want them doing Anything on my bike. Always check the area that was worked on; by anyone including your self.

Safe and enjoyable riding to you,my friend.

OP
OP
RichKat
Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
So I used a rubber 5lb. dead blow hammer and gave it two medium hits, and running hand over the bump, can't feel it....woo hoo

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
Did you catch this great story about a bent rim and a roadside repair?

OK, we’ll we were on 108Plaster rock to Renous. 147 km’s of no service. I had to pee desperately, so I stopped to deal with that. I was the tail. I did it in record time as Dave and Art were off enjoying the curves of this rough road. I thought it would take a bit to catch up but 3 kms later at the 97km marker I see Dave and Art at the side of the road, they waited for me! Um NO! Art had hit a pothole and it bent both his rims and he lost air out of the rear tire. Did I mention there was no cell service. It was decided that Dave would continue on to civilization to coordinate a CAA rescue. 10 minutes go by and a guy on a Harley. Jake was his name on his colours vest, stops and offers assistance. Art jokingly says to him do you have a hammer? He replies “Yes as a matter of fact I do”. Opens his saddle bag and produces a 10lb ball peen hammer. Art does the nasty and persuades the metal of the rim back in place to secure a bead. We pumped the tire back up and the persuader went back in the saddlebag. Jake carries it for such emergencies….anything that needs to be persuaded.
PS Art had the rim & tire last the rest of the 8,000+ km trip by the way

Reactions: Obo
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I hit a piece of firewood wood at highway speed while on tour. That gave my ST1100 a visible deformed front rim on one side, probably 5mm or so. I freaked out about wobbles, sudden deflation and instant death, but after closely monitoring the pressure and feel for a 100km or so, there was absolutely no issue, no wobbles or shakes, and I rode home nearly 1700km. The bike behaved perfectly normally, and I had the wheel straightened at my leisure. Certainly would not be concerned about 0.04" run-out.

Top Bottom