Best bag for rear seat?

Hello folks,
Former member who had to re-register. I bought my 2006 ST1300 from this forum years ago. I am planning for a potential road trip, and I'm wondering what the best bag for the rear seat would be on a 2009 ST1300. I already have a Givi hard case on the very rear. I am looking for a somewhat rigid bag that can sit on the rear seat, provide a lot of space, not fall off the bike, and maybe even serve as a back rest for me. I really like this bag by Saddlemen, but the dimensions don't quite fit the ST1300. Any thoughts? Thank you. 1657733527565.png

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I like a roll-top dry bag for that use. Absolutely waterproof and comfortable to lean against. A 35 to 50 liter bag fits across the pillion seat really well - about 25 or 30" long and 8 to 10" in diameter. Rok Straps to attach to grab rails. Pic of my bike has a jacket folded across the dry bag.

IMG_2145.jpg

I'm doing the same basic search for my upcoming trip.
I'm looking at ATV luggage. Hundreds of choices from low bucks to mid priced units. The reason is to utilize the space above the saddlebags, too.
Might mount it "backwards" to surround the tail box. They come in plain black / some with hard shells, etc. $60 - $300. The rear "passenger pads" all seem to be removable or flip up.
(you asked for thoughts, right?)
1657739135157.png

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I like a roll-top dry bag for that use. Absolutely waterproof and comfortable to lean against. A 35 to 50 liter bag fits across the pillion seat really well - about 25 or 30" long and 8 to 10" in diameter. Rok Straps to attach to grab rails. Pic of my bike has a jacket folded across the dry bag.

IMG_2145.jpg
LOL I have the same picture, my bike of course.

Bike
2014 CB1100DX
I have a 70 Liter Dry PAK Waterproof Duffel (off of Amazon) that I use on both my CB1100 (on rear rack) and on my ST1300 (on rear seat). Its really great for my cross country rides and only costs $50.00. Just an FYI that I also have horseshoe style integrated tailbag/saddlebags unit on my CB1100 since it does not have hard cases like my ST1300. :)

Last edited:

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
I have the Kuryakyn version of this bag... works great with the backrest, and still have room to load additional bags if needed...

Bike
2010 ST1300
Kelty 90l Redcloud with the should straps and belt removed. Wal Mart sells a roll top dry bag and 2 fit in the kelty.Multnomah Falls.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
For camping trips, I used your garden variety duffel bag bought on ebay. A big sausage strapped across the seat w/ rokstraps, it swallowed my Big Agnes tent, kermit chair, etc., clothes went in the panniers. This was a cheap, if big one, and was made of heavy coated cordura. These are not necessarily waterproof, and if I was expecting any rain, I put the camping gear in plastic garbage bags. I did not do this too often because I don't like riding in the rain and plan around that. That duffel was water resistant, and I found that putting the zipper facing aft, or even facing downward presented the unbroken cordura to a light rain. I did not have trouble with the sewn ends, but again, I did not camp/ride in downpours.

I use this bag. I can attest to its durability and waterproofness. Depending on what you need it for, it carries my tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, etc. Basically all my campsite stuff. I can lean back against it if I need to. I purchased the 60L variety and I attach it to the luggage rack with a bungee cargo net I've had forever.

I'm always a fan of an inexpensive option if the quality is good. I'll use this for years to come.

I should add... this still allows me to access the panniers if I need to, without removing the back at all.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I only speak for myself and at the risk of derailing the thread but for me I only use a dry bag for stuff I want to stay dry. Ride into a campground after 100 miles of rain for instance and when I set up my tent and crawl inside I want dry bedding, at least one set of dry clothes, and hot cup or bowl of something. When I break camp in the morning after last night's rain or with a heavy dew a wet tent is not going in my dry bag. There are lots of ways to pack that make sense and we all find our own ways.

I recently went with a eurohike transit 90L bag its really nice. Has a storm flap over the top. regular airtight roll end or duffle rolltop may not be ideal. They normally dont conform to the stuff inside and instead make a bubble. When you lean on it your not leaning on the contents you are leaning on the air putting a lot of pressure on the seams which can cause them to fail and ruin the bag. I would have went with the 120L but thought it too wide but now im looking at tog 15 duvets and wishing i had bought the 120L might buy the 120L and give the 90L to my stepdad. Also though about finding a 40cm hard plastic ring like a piece of road work pipe and placing that inside the middle to create a back rest. I have yet to try it in extreme rain but the bag and flap are fully waterproof the zip is probably not but not seen any reviews where stuff has got wet. might hose test it at some point. If looking at duffle bags look for ones that have straps that go under the bags not one with straps glued to the side. LOMO make good bags as they are a watersports company

Top Bottom