Best replacement exhaust ST1100?

Bike
Vstrom 650
My exhaust is on the way out,it has been blowing for a while but now it's broken both pipes before the collector box and I think maybe i should just replace the whole system with something stainless,
I also think I might pull out the swingarm and get it sandblasted and powder coated while I'm at it.
Any recommendations for the best replacement exhaust?

Thanks

Bike
ST1100AW
Motad is about the best value for money,
Dave Silver is good enough on price LINK
there is a crowd in the uk making a stainless collector but its pricey
delkevic are alright too,

dont get the swingarm sandblasted, vapour blast or sodablast is far less agressive,
powder coat is the job afterwards, i treated mine to a coat of Waxoyl too to help keep the salt at bay,
acf 50 works well for the alternator, seems to stop the white fur, worth giving it a coat when you have the swingarm out

Last edited:
OP
OP
broc11
Bike
Vstrom 650
Thanks,I was looking at the Delkevic allright,cheaper than motad,hardly worth trying to weld and fix it,the end can are fine though I think,so might just buy the pipes and collector box.
Good tips for the swingarm and alternator,my bike is an Irish bike from new so she didn't see many salted roads.
I never heard of vapour or sodablast before, I suppose galvanising it would be a bit extreme.
Have you ever been up to Donegal on the bike? I hope to get down around Cork and Kerry next year as well as Scotland

Bike
ST1100AW
Thanks,I was looking at the Delkevic allright,cheaper than motad,hardly worth trying to weld and fix it,the end can are fine though I think,so might just buy the pipes and collector box.
Good tips for the swingarm and alternator,my bike is an Irish bike from new so she didn't see many salted roads.
I never heard of vapour or sodablast before, I suppose galvanising it would be a bit extreme.
Have you ever been up to Donegal on the bike? I hope to get down around Cork and Kerry next year as well as Scotland
Galvanising puts a fairly thick layer down, it makes the bearings hard to fit, retorquing the swingarm is supposed to need a special tool too

Havent been up to donegal for a while, used to go to the illeagles rally but small children at home are putting the dampeners on long spins these days

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
There are some who report that the aftermarket exhausts such as Motad reduce fuel economy by as much as 5mpg.

Anyone here have that experience, I believe Dave Whitley was one of those.....

Over the life of an exhaust, especially now with the price of fuel, it could be worth looking at the costs..... that said, not many folk would keep a bike for the life of an exhaust anyway.... that and Honda San's price on an OEM exhaust which would curdle milk at fifty paces.....

OP
OP
broc11
Bike
Vstrom 650
5mpg would be alot,I'm getting poor mpg as it is,I'll have to do a bit of research on that,how is the recovery coming Les?

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Slow would be the only thing I can say, but there again I did a fair bit of damage......

I intensely dislike being unable to be mobile and getting on with things..... not working is even worse, especially as we had to order a new central heating gas boiler...... I could have bought a new NC700X for the price of that thing.....

As to the mpg figures, I am sure DW will be along sometime to make comment.....

OP
OP
broc11
Bike
Vstrom 650
Just fitted the full delkevic exhaust today,it takes a bit of modification to get it fitted though,the centre hanger is about a 1/4 inch out of line,had to widen the hole in the hanger from the collector box,also not all the holes in the oem heatshields line up with the delkevic,had to drill out a few new holes.
It's looks great though and there is a far nicer sound,tried it with the baffles out,but I prefer to leave them in.

OP
OP
broc11
Bike
Vstrom 650
Sounds like you also had a difficult job John,forgot to mention I had to remove the the tip over wing on the right side,would have been impossible to get it fitted otherwise,
If I had known to remove the captive housing on the nut in the collector box hanger,and widen the hole the hanger bolt fits through by 1/4 inch backwards,the delkevic would
have fitted alot easier,so this may be of help to someone in the future.
The delkevic downpipes are constructed the same as the oem ones,the collector box and the left side pipes are all in on piece,unlike the motad that you used John.
another tip I would have is to use a small bit of gasket compound on the gaskets to the head,this keeps them up in place when your fiddling about getting the pipes fitted.
I used a bit of GT85 spray to lubricate the pipes into the gaskets.
The bike is running fine but it looks a bit smokier,could just be the cold weather or maybe I should balance the carbs also?

Top Bottom