Best top box for me?

Hi all, looking for some help.

I'm hoping to be a ST1300 owner by Sunday. The bike that I am interested in does not have a top box and I need help picking one out.

I will most likely ride with all boxes at all times since the bike will be used for commuting. However, I would like the top box to have passenger support since the wife would like to ride out to the coast on occasions. I do not care for size, but obviously the more space I have, the better.

Since I am new to this, I am having a hard time finding other setups. Ex: Are owners using a simple/basic top box but running a back rest post for their passengers?

So far I would like the Honda option, but seems to be near impossible to get based on what I am reading. Other option is Givi but that's about it. I see Shad but the ST1300 is not an option on the website. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
I've been wanting a Givi V56 case, but hard to justify $420, I got a cheap one off Amazon for $86, supposed to be here Tue-Fri. I know it's probably a junk one, and not key removable (has nuts with knobs) but I'm riding to work primarily, it does have a built in backrest and it's 48 liter. When I get it, I'll give a review and post some pictures

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Givi has the top case mounting kit for the ST1300. The Givi E215 model I think (I found that one on Amazon even). Others here will verify or correct that info. You might also look to Kappa top cases. I prefer Monokey mounting rather than Monolock, the 2 kinds of mounting systems Givi uses. Kappa is the budget division of Givi and there are some different styles but all sizes available. Kappa cases cost a bit less than Givi cases but IMO just as good since they are both made by Givi. Kappa cases fit the Givi mountings so are interchangeable. Shad is also good if you can find the bike specific mounting adapter for the ST1300. All these cases can have passenger back rest pads added.
I've used Kappa and Givi cases on different bikes I owned and really liked them both.

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
I also tried to go the Honda option four years ago but I had no luck. So I went with a Shad instead.

I have a Shad SH50 and a Shad 58X. I like them both. Both are roomy. I can Tetris an XL and small full-face helmet into the 50 and 2 XL full-face into the 58X (When it's open to the highest/largest setting. Both have backrests for the pillion but the 58X's is a separately purchased option. To be fair, the 50's is only the upper backrest; if you want the lower, that's also a separate option.

The only issue is that Shad has stopped making the mounting adapter for the ST1300. You can still find a few on eBay but they are getting rarer and rarer. If you can't find one, it's not the end of the world. You can still fit the included mount to the ST1300's rack, but it leaves the pillion with a bit less room. You could also make one with a piece of sheet metal and some spacers.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the 58X. It's much roomier and you can actually get it cheaper than the 50. However, If you want to color match the top box to your bike, you'll have better luck with the 50 as it has 6 different color top plates (Blue, red, white, silver, gloss black, and dark grey) whereas the 58X only has 3 (White, black gloss, and silver) but it comes with a black carbon fiber top plate. Also, the Shad 59X is identical to the 58X except it comes with an aluminum (colored?) top plate rather than the carbon fiber.

My 2c. :)

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I've bought a couple of Givi boxes from other site members and am very happy with both.

The first was a Givi E52 Maxia which is a respectable size. It holds two full face Shoei helmets if they're laid on their sides; open ends facing one another. Our helmets have Sena 10S communicators mounted to the lower edge of the helmet and the modules must be removed to allow the case lid to close. It came with a Givi backrest pad which is a medium firmness foam which my wife has found comfortable on the occasions she's ridden on my 1300.

1656060159203.png

1656060993943.png

The second is a Givi V56 Maxia4 which is 4 liters larger than the E52 and can swallow those same two helmets, upright and with the Sena modules in place. I don't have a backrest for it yet, but since I can swap between it for the E52 when my wife joins me for a ride I'm not terribly motivated to add one at the moment. The pad for the V56 appears to have similar construction as that on the E52.

1656059977445.png

1656059994253.png

The latching mechanisms which hold the two cases closed couldn't be more different however.

The E52 has a solid latching mechanism which requires the key to be in place and in the unlock position to allow it to latch. The V56 can be closed and latched in a locked state with the key removed, however by comparison it's sometimes finicky and often requires several firm shoves to get it to latch especially if it's overstuffed with gear that interferes with closing. On the other hand the E52 latch can be used to lever the lid into the closed position much more easily.

Below is a $120 Adio ebay special on my son's VStrom. It's a solid unit for the money, but it doesn't compare to the Givis in build quality. It uses a mounting plate that's a clone of the Givi Monokey design, but its made of stamped steel with generic mounting hardware - none of which, with the exception of the plate were useable for mounting to his bike; I fabricated all of it and had to drill hole in the plate to allow it. It does however allow my Givi bags to mount to the Adio plate, but the Adio box has trouble latching to the genuine Givi plates. Weird.

That backrest? It's a rigid piece of plastic and offers comfort in shape and appearance alone. There is no padding. And though some versions of this box can be had with lights behind those red lenses, they are not reflectors and the lights can't be purchased separately.

1656060317084.png

1656061991500.png

I like the size, fit and finish of the V56 Maxia4, but the E52 Maxia is currently my daily driver box. I'll reserve the V56 for those bigger trips with greater gear requirements.

I didn't own a top box before getting my 1300 a couple of years ago. I started out with a Pirate's Lair Stealth backrest, thinking I would swap it out for the box as the situation arises. But I find the box so convenient that I haven't used that backrest alone since. Look for that in the "For Sale" section of this site with a week or two.

Top Bottom