Bike won’t turn over

Hi all, just looking for some advice I have a 2004 pan European ST1300. It was sat in the garden most of winter and not started.

I’ve got a new battery for it.

Something is siezed in the engine. It won’t start at all. Just clicks when I put the ignition on. I have replaced the starter motor but still it doesn’t start.

The new starter motor sounded like it was going to go but didn't then went back to just clicking. The power is definitely coming from the battery.

The motor is not hydraulic locked.

I did read that the st1100 alternator could size but couldn't find anything relating to the st1300

Any advice or help is appreciated!

Bike
2010 ST1300
You could also pull the plugs to make @drawderm's suggestion easier. Have you checked the battery voltage when trying to start the bike? Is the battery fully charged? Sounds to me like @Jethro has nailed it.

Replacing parts is not the right way to troubleshoot bike problems. While your starter motor might have been bad, yours is the first one I've heard that has failed in the last 7 years or so lurking on this website.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
+1 on Jethro's comment about the battery/ground connections.

check the starter relay/solenoid, its the switch that completes the high current circuit between the battery and the starter motor, and its the clicking sound you're hearing. Your description sounds like there's a voltage drop between the battery and the starter motor that's causing your problem.

troubleshoot the path from battery to starter motor one step at a time. Typical failure causes are bad connection to the battery terminal, bad connection to the starter relay, bad starter relay, or corrosion at any of those connection points so check all connections for corrosion first.

Top Bottom