block off plates/pair removal

Bike
'91 ST1100
I just made my block off plates from some scrap 3/16" 6061-T6AL I have from an airplane project I am building. The gaskets on the bike are in good shape so I thought I would reuse them. However, the more I thought about it, they have a hole for the exhaust. Those of you who have done this, what do you do about the gaskets? Even though this is structural aluminum will the exhaust be an issue with the centers of the plates being directly exposed? Did you cut new gaskets w/o the holes? If so, what material did you use? Or, is this a non-issue?

Thanks

JPrieST

Don't squat with your spurs on
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
The gasket only seals where the two surfaces mate up. If the old gaskets are still good, I would re-use them. A solid gasket (no hole) will not give any advantage over one with hole.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

OP
OP
Bike
'91 ST1100
Yes, I would for the most part agree. However, it seems to me the one possible disadvantage is that the exhaust has a direct shot(through hole) at the AL from the back of the plate which might eventually degrade this over time. At any rate, I did obtain some automotive "header" bulk gasket material and fabricated my own non-hole gaskets. If nothing else, it might postpone the aforementioned long after I resell...

Bike
91 ST1100
I bought plates for a SRAD Gsxr 750. Bolted right on 15$ on Ebay

Top Bottom