BMW FD list

STArnie13

R.I.P. - 2020/07/03
Rest In Peace
Every brand and model has some sort of problem. BMW seems to have more than it's fair share these days. It took Yamaha a while to admit to the valve ticking problem in the FJR and other bikes but they have addressed it and hopefully fixed them. BMW has had rear drive and other problems for longer and still don't own up to them. German stuborness I guess.:03biker:

I would comment that what I liked about BMW is that they asked for the final drives from those bikes that failed in the IBA, as least they are looking for the cause and solution.

So you congratulating BMW? Sheesh. I gots some products to sell you.

More relevant question for all of this: Could MySQL realy handle all the complaints, or could be Oracle instance is really needed?
No, I am not congratulating BMW per say, but when have you seen Honda ask to see all the failed Thermostats. Heck, I know a rider who got rid of his ST cuz Honda could't get the thing fixed and he went back to BMW. Look at the Honda GL1800, they have had issues with overheating in the years past. I got rid of mine partly because of the overheating issue. What idiot came up with the idea of the radiator fan pushing air FORWARD, why would you spit into the wind :banghead: Honda is not perfect.

STOC #
Heck, I know a rider who got rid of his ST cuz Honda could't get the thing fixed and he went back to BMW.
And that would be me. Failed thermostat and a coolant leak that was taken in FOUR separate times to fix... after the fourth attempt... sayonara :)

Seriously... the ST is a great bike and is pretty much dead reliable except for that one niggling problem... thermostat/coolant leaks... I am thinking it is a design problem after a lot of people seem to get them, that or the hoses are failing because of not being tightened properly at the factory... whatever the case... I commute EVERY day on my bike and NEED it to run every time I get on it... in the past eight years, I may have missed a total of a couple of months riding... one of those months was with my ST in the dealer for the dreaded coolant leak. My other bikes (Honda Pacific Coast, BMW R1100RT, R1150RT, and now R1200RT) have performed flawlessly.

Might I add that BMW does need to be proactive and check into the IBR FD failures.... I hope that they use whatever they find to help make the drivetrain more robust and better the next time around... if that is indeed the issue...

Last edited:

DAS

STOC #
My brother packs a final drive for his LT (and tools) when he goes on trips. He still loves his LT.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
More relevant question for all of this: Could MySQL realy handle all the complaints, or could be Oracle instance is really needed?
MySQL should do just fine, although if you want your failure to be permanent, you should use PostgreSQL. :D (Yeah, I know, MySQL has transactions now.)

You'd have to buy several BMWs worth of Oracle. Just send me the cash instead.

--Mark

STOC #
Pablo,

Sorry about your run of bad luck...

Where in SC are you located and what dealer did you take the bike to? Curious... that's all.

Chris

Top Bottom