BMW New driveshaft policy

Bike
VStrom 650
Just curious. Nowt new there then.
Do you have to turn up at the dealer with a full dealer service history, at the prescribed service point for the shaft, then that is the time the shaft will be changed.
If so 40,000 mile of services will not be "free". I would say on average in the UK this would amount to 10 years of franchised servicing for most RT and GS riders. Let's guess at a total cost of 4 to 5 thousand £'s.
Like I say just curious, because I don't think the Bavarians will be picking up the bill for self or out of franchise serviced bikes?
Upt.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I believe if you're in for 'anything' and your mileage ticks that mark then it will be replaced. I don't know if you can just roll in at that mileage and ask for a drive shaft check but then again, if this was a result of some court issue then you would have just documented you asked about it and was turned down.... which I bet they would avoid that documented denial if anything happened.

TPadden

Tom Padden
My 2020 RT at 43,000 miles has never seen a dealer since new. When I bought the RS I asked the service manager. He said it all depends on the VIN, looked it up, said yep, when do you want it done. I said I'd let him know. :thumb:

I really think it's a non-problem for RT/RS, carried over from the GS and water ingress. I'll get around to it someday...;)

Tom

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I don't have a definitive reply, other than my understanding current bikes can have their drive shaft tested at a dealer, and replaced if it fails the test.
Apparently, the drive shaft is not even removed for testing, but it is inspected, and newer bikes have the duckbill flapper to drain water, as Tor said.
Mine was tested but not replaced, and I'll be looking at it again at 12k miles to ensure there is moly paste on the splines. YouTube shows the procedure to remove the drive shaft is not difficult, but can be finicky to realign the splines to the rear wheel.
I had thought the shafts will be tested, but not "automatically" replaced. The new replacement drive shaft is about 1/5 the cost of the previous part.
Opinions and assertions are all over the map on this subject, on ADVrider, and even BMW dealers don't all tell the same story.
Still, I like my GSA.

Reactions: Tor

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'll do the same check I started doing on the ST when I found that issue... Spin the rear wheel while on the center stand and listen for any clunking or odd noise and see if the wheel spins forward then, before it stops, it moves backwards a little, indicating the binding on the u-joint is releasing the other direction.

When I do my 24k valve check I'll pull the driveshaft and take a look at it but I'm not worried at all. I wouldn't be surprised if I pass 50k miles without any issues which would make it more dependable than my '08 ST... hmmm

Top Bottom