R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #

Oh My :cool:!!!! BMW has announced it's new WSB contender :

http://www.worldsbk.com/pubb_EN/news_ext.php?id=2193

Tom
Weeki Wachee, Fl.
Gainesville, Mo.
Won't the addition of BMW into WSB confuse you a little, Tom? Does this mean the Ducati is history? It sure is a pretty bike, but probably not one I'd ride to Moonshine from Florida. Must be something in the water down there. Just look at the old GW Richard Buber rode in from there. Oh, I see the common thread. Richard is an old Marine too. See you next year.

STOC #
That, my friend, is one sweet ride. Abso-frickin-lutely beautiful! Love the all black paint scheme as well.

Those 1000 bikes are coming next year, so I wonder as to the price? Probably more than the HP2 Sport by far.

Can't wait to see it in person...

OP
OP
TPadden

TPadden

Tom Padden
........ Oh, I see the common thread. Richard is an old Marine too. See you next year.
Coop,

Really enjoyed swapping lies ...... er, sea stories:D. Hopefully it won't be a year; I intend to hit CampSToc (for a change I'll actually be on a ST) and a few other STocs, perhaps out west.

Semper Fi
Tom

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm not sure it is meant to be a commercial success. They have to build and sell 1000 homulagation bikes to race one in WSB. Ducati reportedly hasn't had much trouble selling their $72,500 Desmodesici models though.

One thing for sure. It's a ton of money for BMW in exchange for the hope of a few podium or even top 10 finishes in the next couple of years. I don't think they have had a factory supported effort in Superbike since 1976.

Bike
2005 ST1300
I'm not sure it is meant to be a commercial success. They have to build and sell 1000 homulagation bikes to race one in WSB. Ducati reportedly hasn't had much trouble selling their $72,500 Desmodesici models though.

One thing for sure. It's a ton of money for BMW in exchange for the hope of a few podium or even top 10 finishes in the next couple of years. I don't think they have had a factory supported effort in Superbike since 1976.
Chump Change for my boy TOM...the guy has like 9 pensions:p:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
It's purdy but its success here in the US will be determined by cost to purchase and cost to maintain. There was much hoopla over the Ducati 1098 when it was released but I haven't seen many rolling the streets.

It's difficult cracking that nut when you can pick up one of the big four's liter bikes for around 12k new (used for much less), the performance is top notch, maintenance isn't insane, and aftermarket parts are easily obtained.
Matt,

Google "Ducati 1098 sales" or "Ducati record 2007 sales" or the like. Ducati is selling those things like hot cakes and not just the plain jane $17,000 1098. There is the $30,000 1098 Trecolor and the $72,000 Desmodesici. I saw a 1098 Tricolor at a Tuesday bike night this week. They won't sell that many compared to Jap liter bikes but they don't care.

OP
OP
TPadden

TPadden

Tom Padden
It's purdy but its success here in the US will be determined by cost to purchase and cost to maintain. There was much hoopla over the Ducati 1098 when it was released but I haven't seen many rolling the streets. .......
It's all relative - sometimes hoopla has substance, but that doesn't mean they are in every garage. Ducati had a record US sales year with the 1098 leading the way :).

"1098 Saves The Day, Ducati Posts Record Year in USA
Published January 8th, 2008 in Ducati Press Release. :bow1: "

Apparently ?Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday? held true in ?07 ? even if the wins were abroad?

DUCATI NORTH AMERICA REPORTS RECORD 2007 SALES

Cupertino, CA- (January 8 , 2008) Ducati North America is proud to announce that 2007 ended as the company?s best ever year, with retail sales passing the 10,000 mark for the first time. The arrival of ground breaking new models and a decisive victory in the 2007 Moto GP World Championship have brought an unprecedented amount of success to the Italian brand.

Total North American sales grew by 22% in 2007; up from the previous record of 8,200 bikes in 2006. This impressive growth occurred while the overall North American motorcycle market declined in 2007. In addition, Ducati North America?s unit sales have experienced significant growth over the last four years, more than doubling since 2003.

The top sellers in 2007 were the new 1098 Superbike, the Monster family, and the nostalgic Sport Classic line. Ducati?s record sales in 2007 were not limited to motorcycles - the Ducati Performance Department reported an astonishing growth of 109 percent in accessory sales, and 42 percent in apparel sales. Many Ducati dealers have also made significant store improvements through Ducati?s Retail Design Program and participation in the new DNA sponsored business development program.:cool:

Tom

OP
OP
TPadden

TPadden

Tom Padden
That's cool. My post wasn't meant to be a put down, just a thought......There are some pretty big differences between Ducati and the new BMW. ......
I didn't take it that way :). You missed the biggest difference - if BMW is serious they have the money.:cool:

Ducati; in typical Italian fashion, is usually either on the edge of a buy out or teetering on bankrupcy. There has been recent talk of VW either buying MV Agusta or Ducati ........ MV is really hurting and already sold BMW Husqvarna.

Trivia - Most people think MV Agusta's are made in Italy; they aren't. They are manufactured in the smallest (population 29,000) European country - The Most Serene Republic of San Marino. San Marino is a landlocked enclave, completely surrounded by Italy and claims to be the oldest constitutional republic in the world. San Marino's constitution, dating back to 1600, is the world's oldest written constitution still in effect. :bow1:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Marino

Tom

Top Bottom