Boosting a Lithium Ion?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Is such a (safely) considerable option?

NOCO seems to think so:

It would spare you the removal of the battery though...

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I have one and used it before I got a battery that has a low limit cutoff, it came with jumpers. Funny though, it will jump my diesel multiple times, but charge my phone once.

89FDA5CE-CFBE-4CA6-9AE8-017E91585AC6.jpeg

NobodySpecial

Site Supporter
Bike
2004 ST1300A
I perhaps misinterpreted the question: Isn't the question more along the lines of "Is it safe to use a booster <irrespective of how it flows electrons> with a LiOn battery?"

Bike
2010 ST1300
I do not know, but I suspect a Lithium Battery will behave very much like a lead acid battery. If it is very weak, you will be able to safely use your booster to jump start the bike. If it is completely dead, it will act like a black hole, absorbing most of the power from your booster until it has a minimal charge. If it is shorted, like a lead acid with broken plates, It might trip the internal electronics in the booster pack and that will shut down. In fact, if a dead lithium battery absorbs enough power, the booster's electronics might turn it off as a protective measure.

Last edited:
I do not know, but I suspect a Lithium Battery will behave very much like a lead acid battery. If it is very weak, you will be able to safely use your booster to jump start the bike. If it is completely dead, it will act like a black hole, absorbing most of the power from your booster until it has a minimal charge. If it is shorted, like a lead acid with broken plates, It might trip the internal electronics in the booster pack and that will shut down. In fact, if a dead lithium battery absorbs enough power, the booster's electronics might turn it off as a protective measure.
I have one (not in front of me right now) but it has a button to override "No Voltage" signal. The manual has a warning to not use the booster in place of a battery with no voltage. That fire thing, ...

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Got a response from the support:

Some Lithium batteries are not able to be jump started, so check with your battery manufacturer.
Any lithium battery that is safe to jump start (based on manufacture specs) can be used with Boost.
Check with the battery manufacturer first to confirm. If the BMS has shut off, the Boost will likely need to be used
in manual override to first reset the BMS, but again, check with the manufacturer to confirm proper battery operation.

All our NLP batteries are safe to use with our BOOST devices.
So my NLP14 battery and my GB20 boost kit are compatible.

Top Bottom