Brake Bleeding Help Needed - No Mityvac.....

Diesel Dave

HOPS!
Bike
04 Candy ST1300
I have been following Mark's fantastic brake bleeding thread and all is going well.

I am up to the Proportioning Control Valve bleed.

My question is...

As I don't have a suction device (only a one way valve in a tube device which fits over the bleed nipple), can I just loosen the nipple on the PCV, pump the foot brake, and all the old fluid will evacuate, and all the new fluid will be pulled through?

(Mark uses suction to draw fluid through). I'm hoping the pedal pumping action will do the same....

Thanks, Dave

-

okmurdog

Will Ride for Pie
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
I also bleed the brakes using a one way valve and tube. When doing the PCV, I bleed by pumping both the Secondary Master Cylinder (SMC) and the Foot brake (with a helper - usually my wife). I start by first manually pumping the SMC until fully depressed, and then have the helper depress the foot brake. When the foot brake is depressed, it pushes the SMC back out, and further evacuates some brake fluid. Repeat as necessary. I like doing this because I feel it gives a better bleed, and it exercises the SMC. Also, the Service Manual has a small arrow at the SMC which seems to indicate this is the brake circuit being evacuated at this step.

OP
OP
Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave

HOPS!
Bike
04 Candy ST1300
Thanks Mark. Don't spose I could borrow your wife could I??? :rofl1::rofl1::rofl1:

I'll take your good advice and let you know how I get on.

Cheers, Dave

-

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I have been following Mark's fantastic brake bleeding thread and all is going well.

I am up to the Proportioning Control Valve bleed.

My question is...

As I don't have a suction device (only a one way valve in a tube device which fits over the bleed nipple), can I just loosen the nipple on the PCV, pump the foot brake, and all the old fluid will evacuate, and all the new fluid will be pulled through?

(Mark uses suction to draw fluid through). I'm hoping the pedal pumping action will do the same....

Thanks, Dave

-
That's how I did it. Even with the MitiVac, I could not achieve much fluid movement, pumping the brake pedal worked well. The SMC should be unbolted from the left fork leg and oriented at the angle described in the service manual when doing this.

Top Bottom