Brake Drag out of warranty repair

Bike
2008 ST1300
Hi everyone,

I don't post often, but I thought this should be noted to the group. I've been having some trouble with "Brake drag" and was attempting to learn about it when riding one day it got real bad and pretty much lock up the rear tire after about a 30 min ride on a highway.
It's kind of there all the time when you realize it, but going down the slab not as much, but in this case I started noticing it a lot more, then it exponentially overheated quickly.
I've read all the posts on this, but finally I decided to just take it to my dealer. My bike is an 08 so it's out of warranty, but I told the guy how scary the lock up was and that I've read about enough issues with this that there should be some kind of recall or something and to please check into it.
Later on he got back to me and said that there was no recall, but that Honda had told them they would do all the repairs for free with parts included. The repairs are done and the bike is all fixed at this time and as he said - no charge.

Later he told me that in his 10 years this is the first time Honda has done this out of warranty. Sounds to me like they are trying to avoid a "Total Recall" (plug the movie). So, heads up anyone who has this issue. Sounds like this is something that Honda will take care of if it's happening to you.

Fyi, the rear brake system was pretty much completely replaced along with the front left secondary master cylinder and all fluids and line or two.

Safe riding!

Top Bottom