Brake Fluid Vacuum Reservoir

1129VLD

"71David5"
Bike
04 ST1300
STOC #
I'm having a difficult time maintaining vacuum at the reservoir between the bleed valve and the Mity Vac. Air keeps entering at the cap.

I'm wondering if anybody has made their own reservoir for the old fluid. Maybe even something bigger than what comes with Mity Vac, something that would hold all the old fluid from a complete fluid exchange.

Jeff
:04biker:

Last edited:
Bike
'2014 Yamaha Super T
STOC #
I had the same problem until I packed grease in the groove of the reservoir cap to make an air tight seal...

Don

Bike
07 ST1300A
You're most likely leaking air through the bleeder screw threads. Put one wrap of teflon thread tape around the bleader screw. Make sure you trim the excess off so only the threads are covered. Very common issue.

RCS

I returned my leaking reservoir to the manufacturer to see if it was covered under their limited lifetime warranty. It cost me $6 in shipping.

Today I received and entire new mity vac kit. While I am thankful for the generous reply I think packing grease in the cap is going to be my solution next time it happens.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Motion Pro Easy Bleeder.....(sorry I couldn't help myself)
I'll betcha a piece of pie, that I can bleed the brakes faster with my MP tool, and have no air in the system, or escape the system, than you can with your mity vac!
The challenge has been issued.
Flame retardent suit donned...

RCS

I'll betcha a piece of pie, that I can bleed the brakes faster with my MP tool, and have no air in the system, or escape the system, than you can with your mity vac!
Thanks for the offer. I'm going to stick with a vacuum bleeder and the Service Manual approach. It is the only way I can be sure I remove all of the old fluids from the ABS linked brake system.

My only challenge is the seal on the mityvac fluid reservoir. That should not be a difficult problem to overcome. I thought about purchasing an air compressor and the accessories and then realized that would be overkill as I only bleed brake and clutch fluids for a couple of hours once every 12-18 months.

It's the same reason I didn't purchase a tire changer as and I only change tires once every 12-18 months and the local shop charges only $50 total for the change and balance of both tires.

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Thanks for the offer. I'm going to stick with a vacuum bleeder and the Service Manual approach. It is the only way I can be sure I remove all of the old fluids from the ABS linked brake system.

My only challenge is the seal on the mityvac fluid reservoir. That should not be a difficult problem to overcome. I thought about purchasing an air compressor and the accessories and then realized that would be overkill as I only bleed brake and clutch fluids for a couple of hours once every 12-18 months.

It's the same reason I didn't purchase a tire changer as and I only change tires once every 12-18 months and the local shop charges only $50 total for the change and balance of both tires.
Still hanging on to the "only way I can be sure" theory huh LOL...
Perhaps you could use a very thin piece of rubber (inner tube) to make a gasket for your reservoir on your vac?
I've seen everything from grease, vasoline, silly putty, clay, etc. used to try and make those dang things work.
I guess I'm just lucky that my MP tool works so well...and removes all the fluid from an ABS linked brake system. :D

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I thought sure I was going to get my very own motion pro out of the last bet Larry made but he kept them both. He is now a 2 fisted bleeder.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I thought sure I was going to get my very own motion pro out of the last bet Larry made but he kept them both. He is now a 2 fisted bleeder.
Ouch...now that just hurt Justytroll....and to think I fed you fresh halibut :(

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Bleeding with 2 fists hurt?
After all the stuff you have fielded here I thought this comment would make you laugh not hurt. Sorry REALLY!
I never thought that you'd want to take it home with you since I'm the one who bleeds your brakes :D
I'll just keep it next to the box that has your stock seat in it....

Top Bottom