brake supplier

Bike
Honda ST 1300 A
What is the favorite brake supplier for a 2007 st1300abs? Is OEM brakes the favorite? Are EBC brakes popular? What are your recomendations?:bow1::bow1::bow1:

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
OEM although I'll use EBC if that is what is available.
Seems EBC were not quite as good in the frog stranglers.

If you go on line check the year ST when ordering.
08 and up uses a differenct front pad #.

EBC uses the same pad for 03-07 front and rear.
There is a different pad for 08 and up for the front.

Honda always used 2 parts numbers for front and rear (the rear is thicker material)
08 got new fronts.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I have used both EBC and OEM. Personally I didn't notice much difference. In fact I think they are mixed right now. OEM on front and EBC rear or maybe the other way.

The one thing I will say is that the EBC are thinner when they start out but last as long or slightly longer than OEM. This is likely because they are made from a harder material. The drawback for that is that if they are not wearing your pads they are wearing your rotors. Something has to give. So they may (not saying they do) but may wear out your rotors faster than OEM. Pads are cheaper than rotors so just consider it something to think about.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
As far as hardness, they can be harder than OEM but as long as they are still softer than the rotor you should be OK. I don't know of anyone wearing out a set of rotors that have been blamed on one type of pad vs another. I was just pointing out that I think they are harder but haven't seen any supporting facts.

The one thing I do like about EBC is that in the 03-07 1300s that there isn't a need to keep on hand different pads. They are interchangeable Front and Rear. I like to keep some pads on hand just in case I need them and EBC makes it easy. Cost wise they are pretty darn close when I priced them out last. Some notice a difference in performance with one vs another but I thought they were so close that I couldn't really feel it. That said I don't brake much unless needed. I do more engine braking than anything with normal braking and in hard braking situations I have chipped the tires kicking ABS with both types. So it is a wash there.

It pretty much comes down to what I am ordering at the time. If I am getting tires and I need to order some I get EBC along with the tires from Two Bros. If I am ordering something from Honda and need them I go OEM. I tend to go through pads more often as I change tires for people and some times they discover they need pads and don't have any on hand. They buy whatever I have for what they cost and the next time I place an order for something I restock my supply. That way they don't have to take the bike apart later to install pads that they ordered and they are back on the road right away.

Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
I used EBC pads on my concours and they were LOUD and NOISY. I prefer the OEM pads.
I recently replaced my ST1300 pads with OEM Honda pads. The rear Honda pads are thicker. I found OEM Honda pads at my local dealer for cheaper than I could find good aftermarket pads online.

Top Bottom