BrakeAway on ST w/ BMW grips

Bike
05' ST1300
Did anyone put a BreakAway Cruise on a ST1300 with BMW grips? The previous owner installed them and I've really grown quite fond of them but I'm concerned that the BreakAway is only going to fit with stock grips. BreakAway wanted me to use a micrometer? or caliper to get an exact measurement before they tell me,:confused: just thought I'd check here first.

Thanks all.

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
Yes. I had the BreakAway for a season (I think) before installing the BMW grips. It took some fiddling to make it happen, and since I'm not mechanically inclined it was a friend who did the fiddling so I can't comment much more than that. I "think" he had to reverse a piece...

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
What I thought I would do when I did my ,,,heated grips with Symtec units and new BMW grips is this.
Being a machinist, I was going to start by cutting the grips flange and a bit of the grip off exposing the throttle tube. I would then turn up a spacer that would fill the gap between the tube and the ID of the Breakaway. I would not use the rubber bit they give you to go over the grip. I would then cut the part I turned up in two making two half moons. Slip those in the gap, tighten the set screws and call it good. I think this has a fighting chance of being a smooth install. The first time I put it on over some grips that I had to butcher at NatSTOC, didn't go so well. I got it, but it was a lot of messing around to get it tweaked to allow free throttle snap-back.

Top Bottom