Braking System Animation

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Very interesting. As this is the 2nd time I've owned a bike with Linked Braking System / LBS, I was anticipating watching this.
What I noted, after seeing the publication date of 2008, is "this is not the original LBS I had on my '97 Blackbird."
I was right; this is actually Part 3 in a series of Honda's 2008-spec, "then-new" ABS system. I am not 100% sure, but I don't recall (and am not inclined to look it up at the moment) the "delay" function on the Blackbird's LBS. Only that the front brake also activated the rear, and vice-versa.
But anyhoo, knowing what we know about braking force and weight transfer, it's pretty cool how it's designed.
In the MSF Basic RiderCourse, we demonstrate and explain weight transfer while stressing the brake lever is to applied in a PROGRESSIVE manner, and not to ever "grab" the front brake lever.
This should hold true as a best practice, no matter what kind of gee-whiz, modern technobits, trickery and computerized braking system your newer bike employs.
Of course, most bikes used at MSF ranges are low-budget, smaller bikes suitable for training new and re-entry riders, and have none of the modern whiz-bangery of their larger, more costly brethren.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Very interesting. As this is the 2nd time I've owned a bike with Linked Braking System / LBS, I was anticipating watching this.
What I noted, after seeing the publication date of 2008, is "this is not the original LBS I had on my '97 Blackbird."
I was right; this is actually Part 3 in a series of Honda's 2008-spec, "then-new" ABS system. I am not 100% sure, but I don't recall (and am not inclined to look it up at the moment) the "delay" function on the Blackbird's LBS. Only that the front brake also activated the rear, and vice-versa.
But anyhoo, knowing what we know about braking force and weight transfer, it's pretty cool how it's designed.
In the MSF Basic RiderCourse, we demonstrate and explain weight transfer while stressing the brake lever is to applied in a PROGRESSIVE manner, and not to ever "grab" the front brake lever.
This should hold true as a best practice, no matter what kind of gee-whiz, modern technobits, trickery and computerized braking system your newer bike employs.
Of course, most bikes used at MSF ranges are low-budget, smaller bikes suitable for training new and re-entry riders, and have none of the modern whiz-bangery of their larger, more costly brethren.
That digital C-ABS system only appeared on CBR600RR and CBR1000RR race replica sport bikes around 2009-2010, about the time supersport bike sales disappeared in the smoking crater of Great Recession motorcycle sales.

Top Bottom