Bridgestone Excedra

Boys,

My new to me '04 has a set of G850/851 Excedra's on it. Is it just me or are those tires meant for going in a straight line? I test rode a couple of ST's in the process of choosing this one and they all seemed nice and sharp in the cornering department.

The bike will start to lean in, then about mid-corner it wants to push and I have to put in a good bit more effort to hold the line.

I want to think it's just me getting used to the bike. I come from a V-Strom 1000 and I know first hand how different tires make a huge difference in the handling. So I think the tires are the culprit.

The tires have very little wear showing, i.e. the rear has barely perceptible wear in the center, and the front is great looking as well. Also, the contact patch looks to be very broad with not a lot of shoulder to roll over on when cornering. Is that correct observation or not?

So what's the consensus? Wear them out, or throw them out (not literally, of course, but you know what I mean)?

STOC #
Those tires are the wrong size (and speed rating) for the ST1300, which may be why you're experiencing some handling challenges. Rim size matches the 1300, but aspect ratio is different. ST1300 front tire is 120/70ZR18, rear is 170/60ZR17. The Excedras you have appear to be 130/70HR18 and 190/60HR17.

My quick search shows those are cruiser tires fitted to the Yamaha Star Roadliner.

Last edited:

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
Boys,

My new to me '04 has a set of G850/851 Excedra's on it. Is it just me or are those tires meant for going in a straight line? I test rode a couple of ST's in the process of choosing this one and they all seemed nice and sharp in the cornering department.

The bike will start to lean in, then about mid-corner it wants to push and I have to put in a good bit more effort to hold the line.

I want to think it's just me getting used to the bike. I come from a V-Strom 1000 and I know first hand how different tires make a huge difference in the handling. So I think the tires are the culprit.

The tires have very little wear showing, i.e. the rear has barely perceptible wear in the center, and the front is great looking as well. Also, the contact patch looks to be very broad with not a lot of shoulder to roll over on when cornering. Is that correct observation or not?

So what's the consensus? Wear them out, or throw them out (not literally, of course, but you know what I mean)?
What sizes are on the bike now? Looks like you have an OEM Yamaha tire on there and a OEM Kawa tire. Kinda courious what sizes are on it. This may explain the handling problems. Let me know T

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Re: Bridgestone Excedra [sic]

Sorry folks, but it's a pet peeve of mine that I just can't control... -

it's EXEDRA, not EXCEDRA :)

The ST1100 OEM Bridgestone G547/G548 EXEDRA bias tires have been my choice for many years now. They are very stable, and remain neutral handling all the way through the life of the tire. Pretty long wearing too.

IMNSHO, they do cure any headache caused by another brand/model of tire. :D

[edit: in a pinch, you can get an EXEDRA rear tire for your ST1100 from a HD dealer. BTDT Their Sportster(?) uses the same size; however, be forewarned that it'll have 'Harley Davidson' raised lettering on the sidewall! :eek:]

Regards, John

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Re: Bridgestone Excedra [sic]

Sorry to hijack, John "O", What kind of milage do you get from your EXEDRA's?
Not really a hijack, Nicholas, the thread is about Exedras. :) I usually get one front to last through two rears. I ride solo and am not a kneedragger, nor am I a throttle whacker. If I'm not on western roads I can get well over 12K on an Exedra rear. Out west or up into BC or Alaska it's 8K or less. I had one front back in the 90s that went to 22K. Other tires/STriders have their own longevity claims/experiences.

OP
OP
Guys, they are the corrrect size for the 1300. Don't worry, I'm not one of "those guys" that doesn't know a yamaha from hee-haw. And they are 170/60/ZR17 rear and 120/70/ZR18 front. Can't see a cruiser needing a ZR rating (!) but all the info I see shows the Exedra as being a cruiser oriented tire. As I rode more today, I'm getting used to the ST. It doesn't flick over like my V-Strom 1000 but now I'm learning the bike and it is becoming familiar.

Anyway, what I don't like and it isn't going to go away is the front moves around real easy when I am in a left or right turn at intersections and it goes over the sand and gravel that is everywhere here in my part of Colorado right now. Again, my V Strom is the reference and it takes the stuff at the same normal speed with nary a blink. Guess those dual sport-adventure tires are supposed to go over dirt (Maxxis Detour front and rear)!

Will the ST tires as a rule have a broader/flat contact patch or could that be specific to the Exedra being a cruiser tire? There is so little shoulder relative to the center section even when aired up to 42 psi cold (checked after the ride and they both were 46 psi). Probably just not used to the look of them, and I suspect for the bulk of my riding (commuter, 36 miles a day, up and down the Interstate and side highways) they will wear real well.

Top Bottom