Bridgestone tires

Bike
04 ST
If you have had a chance to read a post from me, you know that I get high mileage from my tires. Well, yesterday on the way into work, I felt and heard something that was not in the norm for that stretch of highway. I mentally wrote it off, until I started having a hard time steering. I had about 5 miles to get to work so I muscled on. I got to the parking lot and found the rear tire was flat. It was still dark, but I saw what looked like a horseshoe nail. When it got lighter, I went and pulled out a pin retaining clip that had punctured two holes in the tire. I got out the stop and go plug kit and plugged both holes. Thankfully the maintenance department had an air chuck with a pressure gauge. I left around noon so as to have light on the way home in case I had an issue. An hour after getting home I went to pull the bike out of the garage to check the front tire for damage to find the rear tire had gone flat again. This should give people an idea of how many dynamic forces are working on our bike tires. The front tire and rear rim had no damage, but looking at the tire, I had ridden on the sidewalls for awhile. A new rear tire should get here in a couple of days. Needless to say, I am a firm believer in good, brand name tires. So, a run down on mileage, 1st set changed at 21K, 2nd & third sets at 18K. Still not happy about having to replace a tire at 5400 miles, or having mixed milelage on the tires, but I will do that over what could have happened.
I cannot say enough about the Bridgestone tires and the stop and go plug kit worked great also, however, I will be getting a portable air compressor in place of the CO2 cartridges.

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
I cannot say enough about the Bridgestone tires and the stop and go plug kit worked great also, however, I will be getting a portable air compressor in place of the CO2 cartridg
Interesting experience, have always been happy with the stones myself, cept for the 021's of course. And second your idea of getting an air compressor. Recently installed a bmw powerlet to power mine... just wouldn't be without one, they are too important. Also easy to put a few lb's in when needed, instead of blowing it off cuz the gas station thing can be a pia.

Sounds like you handled the situation well, good for you.

Bike
2003 ST1300
I just stripped/modified a Slime compressor ($20US) for stowing away under the seat with the plug kit.
I ripped away the housing, flashlight, and pressure gauge to make it as compact as possible. It looks like a Rube Goldburg? but it works. I had to epoxy a small nail to seal the port for the pressure gauge. It has no switch other than pulling the plug to the BMW style outlet and the large plastic gear is exposed but it now fits under the seat where I hope never to need it. When you have a compressor on board you don't have to risk riding on a low tire until you get "somewhere",, which could be disasterous if the tire should fail from , say, riding on the sidewall. I feel much better now that I have the compressor with me.

Bike
2003 ST1300
And, I forgot to say, I only hope I can someday get the mileage you're getting on the STones. :confused: I have a BT020 on the rear and next one for the front is a BStone also.:D
Ride Safe

Top Bottom