Brought home a V-strom for kicks

Bike
2010 ST
Nuts, I couldn't help it. I picked up a 2007 DL650 V-strom off craigslist, with the intention of downsizing my fleet. I have a 2010 ST1300, thought maybe I could cash in the ST and get away with just the V-strom, but after riding both, I just can't bear parting with the ST. Love the Suzuki for what it is, but it's not an ST, sometimes you don't know what you have until you step foot on the other side of the fence. I can see the wee is probably the bike that gets the most trips to work and the grocery store, it's so stinking easy to hop on and beat up on. But for anything longer than an hour or so, my ST can't be beat. If only I had room in the garage for two bikes and a car. Poor car, it must get so lonely out on the curb all night long.

If anyone in the Seattle area is V-curious, drop me a line, I'd be happy to do a ride around town with you. It's really a great little bike.

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Congrats on your St's stable mate there. I've had my eye on the 650, placing it on the wishlist for some time now, maybe someday. But like you, don't think I could ever part with my Iron Horse.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST
If you're up to it, let's meet up sometime and take a spin. Maybe someday the rain will stop. Maybe.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST
I think if you keep it in perspective that is a 650, it's a great little bike. But being only a 650, that's one of the reasons I can't part with my ST. For someone who doesn't know better, it's plenty. And if you only have a few thousand clams to spend on a bike, it's hard to beat.

Gig 'em, Aggies :D

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
If you're up to it, let's meet up sometime and take a spin. Maybe someday the rain will stop. Maybe.
After this weekend's weather we know we're doomed for a few sprinkles and maybe some down right spring rains. Knock on wood! But one thing is for sure, after it starts, it will stop and we will ride.

Join the group in a couple weeks for a little BBQ and ride.

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?113855-2012-04-07-WA-Olympia-Ranch-House-BBQ

Hit me up for a ride sometime.

Also, keep an eye on this group, https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/206458133563/

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST
I'll be out of town Easter weekend, taking some time to go home and see family. Then in May I'm heading down to Yosemite, me, my bike and my tent. Feel free to join :D. I'll keep an eye out for free weekends between now and then.

l84toff

Riding 2up around the world
Bike
Tiger Explorer 1200
LoL. I have both in my garage at the moment. A 2006 ST and we picked up a 2007 Wee last fall, with the intent of giving it to my wife after she gets her license later this spring. My long term goal is to trade in the STeed for a new Wee and enjoy the trips we currently do 2up on our own machines.

But I have to strongly agree with you, the ST is just such a great bike I'm having some serious thoughts about going through with it. I just love the ST. Granted I haven't done a thing to the Wee to make it more comfy but I can barely stand to be in that seat for more than 30 min. And the stock paniers are just rubbish. I've read people saying as much about the Wee but also about the ST, seat wise. People can't believe when I tell them I put on 25k last year with a stock seat. I find it great.

Then there's the power difference, definitely something I could live without but then there's the wind protection and mileage for a big bike is just fantastic. What I do love is the lack of weight on the Wee. It feels like half the bike. For now I'm waiting to see what my wife does, how much she'll want to ride this year, how many trips are we going to do 2up vs separately. Then there's the trip to Alaska...

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST
Yep. Oddly enough, the power thing doesn't really bother me, I could live with it, it's got plenty enough for me. But the buffeting, wind noise and lack of weather protection is what wears me down, I think I would be overly exhausted on a long trip. I have a new windshield on it, and it's still like getting into a ring with a prize fighter.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
I think if you keep it in perspective that is a 650, it's a great little bike. But being only a 650, that's one of the reasons I can't part with my ST. For someone who doesn't know better, it's plenty. And if you only have a few thousand clams to spend on a bike, it's hard to beat.

#1 to that.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Yep. Oddly enough, the power thing doesn't really bother me, I could live with it, it's got plenty enough for me. But the buffeting, wind noise and lack of weather protection is what wears me down, I think I would be overly exhausted on a long trip. I have a new windshield on it, and it's still like getting into a ring with a prize fighter.
A Madstat wind shield bracket will fix the buffeting. And an after market seat will fix the butt. The rest is up to you and your wallet. It has plenty of power. Keep the revs in the power zone. The bike will run 85 to 90 all day long. Not bad for a inexpensive bike. I bought my 09abs Wee brand new for less than 7k.

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
I picked up a 2007 DL650 V-strom off craigslist, <SNIP> but after riding both, I just can't bear parting with the ST. Love the Suzuki for what it is, but it's not an ST, sometimes you don't know what you have until you step foot on the other side of the fence.
It's really difficult to impossible to find a bike that does it all. That's why for years I had both an ST and a smaller lighter bike. I used the ST for those long, multi-day to multi-week trips where it excelled and a much smaller and lighter VFR for playing around on the weekends and short trips. Having two bikes with different missions really opens you up to different riding experiences.

Based on my personal experience, I'd keep both!

Agreed! Class of 1970. :D

Top Bottom