BT021 less then 5k miles (FJR)

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
Pretty much everyone knows the BT021 was a bad tire. The matching rear for this front is surprisingly pretty decent.

But these pictures show how bad the front got. It had become badly scalloped (quite certain it was low tire pressure too), and wow, did it become hard to handle.

If you change the pictures to full size, should be able to see the significant drop off to either side from the crowned middle. I mean you really really had to fight the hand grips to keep it from just flopping over to a full locked position when going around a corner.

So guess the only moral to this story is... maintain proper tire pressure, always. My experience is that's the only way you'll get the life out of the tire that's appropriate for you riding style.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Wondering what pressure you ran at? Or just forgeting to check ? :(

PS; a 10 yr old shouldn't be riding an ST

OP
OP
FJRHank

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
Wondering what pressure you ran at? Or just forgeting to check ? :(

PS; a 10 yr old shouldn't be riding an ST
Should have mentioned that Tom, it wasn't me, the ori owner ran them at 35... he thought that was the right pressure.

My experience has been to possibly put them 1 or 2 lbs more, to avoid scalloping then spec. Spec for this tire is 39. Spec for the tire replacing this one is 42. It's the BT023 GT. I will definitely keep the new one at 42 or even 43.

oh and I'm 58!! I need to fix that ;)

Top Bottom