Building a Trailer-Questions???

Bike
2004 ST1300
I am in the process of building a cargo trailer to pull behind the ST. I bought a Harbor Freight 40X48 trailer kit and found a used 18 Cu. Ft. (65X38X19) car topper on Craigslist. I cut the trailer frame and axle down to 30 inches wide. This gives me about 40 inches max. width, outside of tires. As the cargo box is 38" wide, I am going to cut it at the wheels and insert plastic fenders.

By cutting the frame down and not using the metal fenders that came with it (7.5 lbs. each) I reduced the weight to 120 lbs. from 151 out of the box. That 30 lbs. is about the weight of the box so total trailer weight will be 150 -155 lbs.

QUESTIONS
I am concerned about the tongue length and hitch ball. Is 56" from ball to axle long enough and should I consider a swivel ball rather than a fixed?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I don't think you need to worry about a swivel hitch. I know motomac has commented he's had the wing on its tip over bars w/trailer attached and there was no binding..

I've heard some say the swivel can actually feel worse when transitioning from leaned over one way then all the way back over the other.

Bike
Aprilia Atlantic 200
STOC #
I am in the process of building a cargo trailer to pull behind the ST. I bought a Harbor Freight 40X48 trailer kit and found a used 18 Cu. Ft. (65X38X19) car topper on Craigslist. I cut the trailer frame and axle down to 30 inches wide. This gives me about 40 inches max. width, outside of tires. As the cargo box is 38" wide, I am going to cut it at the wheels and insert plastic fenders.

By cutting the frame down and not using the metal fenders that came with it (7.5 lbs. each) I reduced the weight to 120 lbs. from 151 out of the box. That 30 lbs. is about the weight of the box so total trailer weight will be 150 -155 lbs.

QUESTIONS
I am concerned about the tongue length and hitch ball. Is 56" from ball to axle long enough and should I consider a swivel ball rather than a fixed?
2 to 2-1/2 times the width (Tire center to center). You may want to check with the folks at http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing/start

I prefer swivel. Lot's of straight ball types out there.

Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
Not to contradict. I went with the 1.5-2 ratio. I ended up at about 1.75.Trails well and total length of bike and trailer is just over 15 feet.:CanFlag1:

OP
OP
Coyote1
Bike
2004 ST1300
Great, guess I'll leave it as is for now and see how it handles. Oops, I can't leave things as is. I never do that.
I'm thinking about lowering the frame (put axle on top of the spring rather than below it) this will drop the frame almost 2 inches. That means I'll need to lower the tongue which I could do while extending it another foot. Hummm, what else can I do?

That's the trouble with being retired. Too much time to think!

This site is great and your opinions are always appreciated. TY

Bike
'09 ST1300A
You may want to jump over on one of the Gold Wing sites too. They have a couple of trailer manufacturers on the site, as well as other individuals, who are willing to provide any advice you may need.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Brian (Georgeorge) did the SAME EXACT thing as you...
(Harbor freight/Car topper combo)
I followed him and the blazin' trailer for thousands of miles and all riding conditions..it works great. I know at one point he increased the length of the tongue..Also I believe his sitch is a swivel type?? not sure..

Contact him for advice. (I'll send him this link and he will probably chime in.)

STOC #
Here I am chiming!!!..... I did fab a swivel hitch. I just didn't want to worry about it if the bike ever fell over. I realize that a fixed ball hitch would serve the purpose and never bind while riding but what about in a tip over. Swivel hitch for me too please.

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
I cut my HF trailer down a total of 18 inches. fender to fender (stock fenders) it is as wide as the saddle bags on bike. 34 inches. Used a hand grinder to clear welds on 1 side of axle. rewelded spindle. Dont cut the axle in half. Makes for a weak joint, unless you add gussett plates.
Removed helper springs.
Cut tongue 6 inches from ball end with chop saw. Must be square cut. welded 1/4 inche plates with 1/2 hole center for bolt. This is my swivel.

Box for trailer made of aluminum. 22x48 front 14 inches high, rear 16 inches high.
Made my own hitch. 4 bolts hold it on bike. 2 muffler support bolts 8mm.
2 socket head bolts near passenger foot peg. Used lower socket head bolt 10mm.
Will try to load pictures.
Have made templates for hitch.
Have trailered over 3,000 miles no problems yet. Moonshine, Senca Rocks.
Tooo many bobs on site back to Ace.

Somewere on trailer my pictures are already loaded?

Attachments

Top Bottom