Cam chain guides

Bike
05 St 1300 Hond
I'm about to replace a few shims on the valves. Its hard to inspect the cam chain guides, so I'm wondering if anyone has ever had to replace them and at what mileage. Can't seem to find anything in any forum about them. I doubt they can last forever, but it does look like the chains would have to be removed.

John

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
no, on the chains. Yes on the front engine cover=clutch& back off cam chain adjuster. The 1 with special tool? use a screw driver.
have 125,000 miles look like new on 04. this help. It's the bikes that are not ridden that this becomes a problem. dry start ups, long sit time.

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
But to replace them requires the front of the engine cover coming off, and according to the manual, that tells you to take the engine out. I had a look at the cover plate though, and it looks as though it can be removed without dropping the engine, but I don't know for sure.

I wouldn't worry about them unless you have done very high mileage.

You can access them without having to drop the engine. Refer to this thread when Curt and I replaced his clutch last year. I wish I had paid a little more attention to this and looked closely at his cam chain guides to see what kind of wear he had on them, which at the time was 107K miles. I know of at least two or three members here that have well over 200K miles on their bikes and I'd bet they never replaced them.

Top Bottom