Can Antenna Cable be shortened on Sat radio?

My new sirius satellite radio works great. Now, as I button things up I wonder if there is any way to remove about 25' of useless antena cable on this thing. Anyone done it before? thanks

I tried cutting then splicing, but failed. Had to buy a new antenna. If you wanna save time, just a buy a new antenna - fairly cheap..about $10.00 and no hassle.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
You can shorten the coax, but I think Jeff's description is pretty much on the mark, especially if you're new to soldering. My antenna is on the back of the bike and the radio's in front, so my extra cable is coiled up under the rider's seat.

--Mark

STOC #
I'd go with the shorter "cots" (commercial off the shelf) version, due to the fact the antenna electrical length should stay matched for best performance, and that would require trimming the cable to the correct meter length. just my $0.02 worth.

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
lancealotduluc said:
I'd go with the shorter "cots" (commercial off the shelf) version, due to the fact the antenna electrical length should stay matched for best performance.
That's not a factor here. The part that's actually the antenna is completely contained in the puck and the coax is just a feed line.

--Mark

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I shortened my XM radio antenna cable, it is not an easy process - it took me 3 trys to get it right. There are some posts online that explain the proceedure.
The wires are very small, some proficiency with light soldering is required. Solder the center wire and apply the proper size shrink tubing. Do not try to solder the outside shield wires, just twist them back together and apply shrink tube over the entire junction. It may be better to buy an aftermarket unit, if you can find the right one.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I'd be careful....the length of wire (or bundle, as the case may be on a bike) also acts to help conduct the signal. Shortening it lessens the amount of antenna exposed to the signal.

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
racer1735 said:
I'd be careful....the length of wire (or bundle, as the case may be on a bike) also acts to help conduct the signal. Shortening it lessens the amount of antenna exposed to the signal.
Sorry to repeat myself, but with microwave antennas this is not the case. A quarter wave at 2.3 GHz is about 3.25 cm, which you'll find is more than small enough to fit in the puck. If you crack open any of the current generation of XM or Sirius antennas, you'll probably find an X-shaped antenna fabricated in stripline on the PC board to receive the satellite signal and a tiny vertical stub to receive the local repeaters.

--Mark

Bike
sold dec 31 14
STOC #
racer1735 said:
I would reitterate Blrfl's discount of the effect of shortening the lead. If it is just a CO-Ax cable to a reciever or antennae shortening the coax has no effect on the reception. I would not hesitate to reterminate a Coax cable but I would not splice it Just get a new end cut off what you don't need but leave more than you think you need and put on a new end. You may need a crimper and soldering pencil and a bit of heat shrink tubing. Multiconductor cables are another matter. They can be impossible for the average guy to find a new connector and the soldering required usually requires some practice and skill beyond a simple coax connector.

motorcyclelarry

R.I.P. - 2012/09/25
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-1300, GS-120
STOC #
I cut mine and i HAVE PRETTY BIG HANGS . The key is small solder tip and iron and very small solder wire. I got it on the first try. Honestly it really was not that hard.

Larry

STOC #
I cut and soldered my XM antenna coax cable before the WeSTOC XI and I did not notice any poor receptions. I am happy with the result of eliminating the extra bundles of the wire. Me too, I got it on the first try.

Top Bottom