Can I install a valve stem without removing the tire from the wheel?

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Howdy gang,
I'm taking a break indoors as when clouds cover the sun, the mosquitoes up here in the mountains are unbearable. Anyway, I have the ST1300 mostly back together following my garage collapse. Anxious to ride it. But when I was pushing it around on my wall-less garage slab, I noticed the front tire was mostly flat. When I went to pump it up, it didn't inflate and I figured out the rubber valve stem was kaput. Glad I discovered it there and not while riding at freeway speeds. I happen to have one of the metal right angle valve stems in my bag of spares. I have never installed a valve stem before. I'm hoping I can just break the bead (I have the Motion Pro bead breaker tire irons), clamp the tire by the valve stem with a large C clamp or 2, and have relatively unimpeded access to the valve stem hole. Does that sound like it will work? I don't have my tire machine up here in the mountains.

I see a patch of blue sky. Hoping for some sun so I can finish assembly without losing a pint of blood to the mosquitoes.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Yes. What you said is exactly the way to do it. Be sure to clamp the tire pulling the bead out of the way. You don't want the bead to spring back trapping your hand in the wheel. Check the instructions so you know how the valve stem goes in, where the gasket goes, where the nuts go.

OP
OP
jonz
Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I second those recommendations. Good to hear the bike survived as well as it did, keeping another on the road. How is the rest coming along?
Pretty much done. For new parts, I just had to buy turn signals and the left side mirror. For salvage parts, just the grab rails and the rear cowl. I've cobbled the other cracked plastic pieces together with the Plastex like repair kit and also the plastic welder/wavy staple kit. Looking forward to a test ride.

OP
OP
jonz
Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Replacing the valve stem was pretty easy as others noted. I first tried just using 2 C clamps on either side of the valve stem and that didn't work. So I broke the bead on one side using the Motion Pro tire iron/bead breaker tool first. Then used the C clamps to hold the tire out of the way. Pretty easy. In fact, easier than putting the front wheel back on. It had been awhile since I did it but I used to be able to remove/replace the front wheel by just removing one of the brake calipers. I got it off fine like that but for the life of me, I couldn't get it back on until I removed the second brake caliper.

Anyway, all new and repaired pieces were installed and I was excited for the first brief test ride. But the battery was low and even with a jumper pack, I couldn't get it started. Grrrrrr!!! And I have to leave it up here for a couple weeks. 8^( I have it on a trickle charger now but have to disconnect it. Oh well - looks like delayed gratification.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Replacing the valve stem was pretty easy as others noted. I first tried just using 2 C clamps on either side of the valve stem and that didn't work. So I broke the bead on one side using the Motion Pro tire iron/bead breaker tool first. Then used the C clamps to hold the tire out of the way. Pretty easy. In fact, easier than putting the front wheel back on. It had been awhile since I did it but I used to be able to remove/replace the front wheel by just removing one of the brake calipers. I got it off fine like that but for the life of me, I couldn't get it back on until I removed the second brake caliper.

Anyway, all new and repaired pieces were installed and I was excited for the first brief test ride. But the battery was low and even with a jumper pack, I couldn't get it started. Grrrrrr!!! And I have to leave it up here for a couple weeks. 8^( I have it on a trickle charger now but have to disconnect it. Oh well - looks like delayed gratification.
Good job replacing your valve stem.
If you use a large flat screwdriver wrapped in a towel and slowly turn the handle to enlarge the gap between the brake pads next time, it makes for a lot easier wheel install. ;)

Top Bottom