Can I pick your Brain ?

Bike
91-ST1100 & PC800
STOC #
Do any of you have a phone holder on your bike that has a built in charger ?
If not would you be interested in having one ?
If you do have one what brand is it ?
Thanks a million for your replies
Dave ( The Old Guy) LOGO #2.png

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I don't, mainly because I use an automotive GPS, I don't desire to make phone calls while riding, and I can answer calls by yelling at my in-helmet intercom/Bluetooth setup.

My phone rides either in the bike's left compartment when on a longer ride, plugged into a charger, or in a jacket pocket, so it's on me in case I get ejected from the bike.

However, if I had one, I would want one-hand use, and with built-in wireless charging so you don't have to plug and unplug a cord every time you get on or off the bike.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I bought the Sena 50s, and I have a USB charger I can plug into the Powerlet I installed. On longer rides, I have a USB cable that easily goes behind my back and charges the Sena.
Not big on the X-grip and the similar ones (haven't tried a Quadlock) that mount on a handlebar due to the vibration and camera issue. I started noticing my Galaxy S20 or 21 starting to weird out on me, and I'd been carrying it on the bars for a while.
The Quadlock may or may not have similar issues, but I have a tankbag with a map window, so if I need to "see" the phone in addition to the GPS, I can view it there, where it's not subject to the vibration like the bar-mount devices.
Likewise, I'm not interested in phone conversations while riding, but I'll listen to music.

Id like to have a wireless or built in, but im not sure wireless would keep me charged with all the apps I run. I just have a cord to plug into...

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Id like to have a wireless or built in, but im not sure wireless would keep me charged with all the apps I run. I just have a cord to plug into...
It should. I think my iPhone SE charges faster via wireless than via the lightning port.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I use my XM radio through the phone app and also listen to Itunes music and have no problem with the wireless charger maintaining the phone battery.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
I bought the Sena 50s, and I have a USB charger I can plug into the Powerlet I installed. On longer rides, I have a USB cable that easily goes behind my back and charges the Sena.
Not big on the X-grip and the similar ones (haven't tried a Quadlock) that mount on a handlebar due to the vibration and camera issue. I started noticing my Galaxy S20 or 21 starting to weird out on me, and I'd been carrying it on the bars for a while.
The Quadlock may or may not have similar issues, but I have a tankbag with a map window, so if I need to "see" the phone in addition to the GPS, I can view it there, where it's not subject to the vibration like the bar-mount devices.
Likewise, I'm not interested in phone conversations while riding, but I'll listen to music.
I cant ride without a little rock and roll!
I use boltune bluetooth earbuds and spotify. Works great. I have a 10 amp usb in my left bike pocket and charge everything from that. Phone us in a ram x

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I think my iPhone SE charges faster via wireless than via the lightning port.
That's not the the act of a properly working iPhone. The Lighting port is faster than inductive charging especially if it isn't on a MagSafe charger. That's Apple MagSafe or MFi MagSafe. Not Amazon Brand X "MagSafe" compatible which charges even slower than AMS induction.

I use all three and Lightning is — compared to the others. If you haven't already done so take a toothpick to the Lightning port and look for debris that might be affecting connections.

Or maybe you just haven't timed it. If you have Optimized Charging set the results it may look like the phone is charging more slowly from time to time. The idea is that it won't charge to 100% when you don't need a full tank. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210512 You may already know all this.

JPrieST

Don't squat with your spurs on
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
I also use the Quad lock with the built in wireless charger. I love it. It is easy to take the phone off the mount to take pics and easy to return it to the mount. I was disappointed with the X Grip. It held the phone secure when you used the "rubber band" thingy, but that is time consuming to take off, put on, plug charging cord in etc. I tried without the rubber band thingy and phone was not secure at all when going over bumps. With what is currently available I would not change unless I was forced to use a phone that quad lock does not make a case for. That being said, I DID crack my case once right where it clips into the mount on the quad lock. It was still very secure, but I didn't take any chances and replaced it right away.

Top Bottom